12 Things That Will Annoy Anyone That Works Retail
popular

If you've worked in retail, trust me—you'll understand.

2359
Unsplash, Mike Petrucci

Before I started working in retail, I would consider myself a patient person. Having worked in my store for over a year now, that's changed. Don't get me wrong. There are times when the customer service aspect of my job is gratifying but there are other times where even the simplest phrases or actions make me see red.

1. When customers complain to you about the prices as if you control them.

Ma’am. They just hired me to stock the shelves and ring up your groceries. All I do is work here.

2. “Are you sure you don’t have any more? There’s none in the back?”

I just told you we were out but you seem to really need it. So hold on just a second, let me grab my bucket and go out back to milk the cow for you. Did you need a whole or half gallon?

3. Those customers that let their children run wild around the store.

Last time I checked, this isn’t a daycare center. I don’t get paid to chase after your children.

4. When customers complain/yell at you about something that you have no control over and you just have to stand there and listen.

Just smile and nod. Smile and nod.

5. “Do you work here?”

No, I just really love this store so they gave me a uniform.

6. When customers are waiting outside way before you open.

Yes, I feel you staring at me. Yes, I'm ignoring you.

7. “I’ve been waiting in line forever.”

Honey, it’s been all of 10 minutes. I still have to wait 5 hours 23 minutes and 12 seconds to go home.

8. Those customers that want to talk on the phone while you’re ringing them up.

This doesn’t go for emergencies, business calls or serious matters but I’m sure Joan could wait till you’re out of the store to hear all about what you did this weekend. You’re basically treating me like I’m a vending machine and you’re also holding up my line. You’re being rude and I don’t appreciate it.

9. “Wait, I have the change.”

So you’re just going to stand there, watch me press total and count out your change before you speak up? How about next time you just wait till you’re in the parking lot to tell me?

10. “So that means it’s free, right?”

Oh, cause the item didn’t scan? HAHA, you’re so funny and original. I’ve never heard that one before.

11. Those customers that try to return something without a receipt.

I know it’s one of our items but without proof of purchase, I can’t take it back. But yes, please do raise your voice at me cause that’s the exact way to change the company policy.

12. That one customer that walks in two minutes before closing.

Of course you can still shop, sir. It’s not like we still have to clean this whole place or that (dare I say,) I have a life outside of this store.