13 Things Only Orchestra Kids Will Understand

Sometimes it's just too much

1255

Orchestra is not only a wonderful way to get involved with extracurriculars but is also a one in a lifetime teamwork experience that has shaped me into who I am today. Making music with a group of people really creates an inseparable bond and also allows for an intellectually challenging experience that helps you appreciate music for everything that it is. Music teaches responsibility, teamwork, as well as discipline; all of which will be useful throughout our lifetimes.

Here are a few things my fellow orchestra members will relate to:

1. The excessive amount of musical puns

I'm really not sure as to why these are a thing but I just really can't Handel them

2. You're forced to wear terribly fitted formal wear

I guess I understand why we should all match, but I want to, at least, be able to move around in this tablecloth.

Oh, and one time after an orchestra concert, I went out to eat with my parents and my orchestra uniform was the same of the wait staff

3. Not knowing how exactly band works

Honestly, I'm still not sure how it goes down. The band is a completely different world.

4. Sitting in the back and dozing off while playing your instrument

When you've been awakened by a horrible noise in the second violin section one too many times, only to realize everyone in your section stopped playing ten measures ago.

5. Starving during after school rehearsals

I used to have a stand partner who would eat full three-course meals during our after school rehearsals and I whole heartedly admired her courage and strength every single time.

6. Hiding your phone behind music stands during rehearsals

What? Me? Oh no, I'm just marking my music

7. Never understanding why the violas can never move fast enough

It's really not that much bigger than a violin

8. Faking how to play

Sometimes life just gets in the way and ferociously air bowing with a mute on is the only way.

9. When you play a piece for the first time and it just sounds like noise

So what were the options again? I never voted for this one by the way

10. How tired your arms feel when the piece ends but your conductor doesn't put her/his arms down

Yes, I understand that we want our sound to resonate but my arms are about to collapse please spare me

11. Practicing the same region and state etudes until you can do it in your sleep

There have been times where I can hear my region etudes whispering through the trees

12. Getting stabbed by random bows

I was not aware that I was amidst a battlefield

13. When the pianissimo is so great you're better off just not playing

Sometimes you just have to sacrifice for the sake of the team you know?