Twelve Things Only Makeup Lovers Understand

Some people collect stamps, we collect lipsticks.

18
Shannon Rich

Contrary to popular belief, loving makeup does not make you insecure. Personally, I wear makeup for myself. It’s something I love doing and something I specifically do just for myself. On the surface, my amazement and passion for the world of makeup is a hobby. It’s something I love to soak up knowledge about, watch YouTube videos on, purchase things from and it’s an activity that from all aspects gives me joy.

Developing a new appreciation for the art of makeup and how it can mean so many different things to different people is more than superficial. For me, it’s a time of the day that I devote solely to myself and enjoying myself. Nothing feels better than plopping down in front of a mirror with my cup of coffee & fuzzy blanket, to begin scrolling through Pinterest for some inspiration.

As a college student it’s easy to feel like you have 50 thousand things to worry about. College is fun, don’t get my wrong, but it’s stressful. I learn new things about makeup every single day, and that’s what I love about it. It’s always changing, and new products are constantly developing. If you're a fellow makeup lover, you're sure to understand the simple joys that come along with this passion.

1. You avoid going into Ulta or Sephora at all costs because you know you can't control yourself.

2. Your lateness can usually be justified by one hand gesture alone... *points to brows*

3. Your friends employ you as their personal makeup artist, and you don't mind it.

4. You know you're going to have a bad day when you can't get your eyeliner even, so you just keeping adding more and more.

5. People ask you how your makeup still looks perfect after a night out.

Setting spray my friends, setting spray.

6. You have so many eyeshadow pallets but you're still ready to get the newest one.

7. Wearing a bold lip color is bound to make you anxious.

8. You take care of your brushes like they're your children.

9. Your makeup just gets you.

10. Cringing at a contour gone wrong.

But it would be considered rude to ask someone to fix their face, right?

11. You'll stop at nothing until you look like this guy...

12. Being reminded daily that you're beautiful, because makeup gives you that extra dose of confidence.

Makeup is about highlighting your best qualities, not hiding your worst. Sure, it’s great to conceal a pimple here or there, but makeup isn’t about putting on a mask; it’s about learning how to emphasize your favorite things about yourself.