12 Things Older Siblings Know To Be True

There are pros and cons, but we wouldn't have it any other way.

28
Lifehack

1. You paved the way with your parents.

You were the first, and parents don't really know what they're doing with the first child. They were super protective and did what they thought was best, meaning you had stricter rules and higher standards placed on you. After years with you, your parents learned to become more lenient with your younger siblings. On top of that, sometimes you try to get your parents to loosen up more when it comes to certain things, hoping you can make it a little easier for your sibling than you had it.

2. You're always responsible.

You're the older one, so you're supposed to be the one that knows better (according to your parents). That means any time anything goes wrong, you're the one that gets in trouble for it. On the flip side, it also means that your parents leave you in charge when they can't be. All older siblings know that being in charge is one of the best feelings, because you feel like the boss. In fact, you are the boss, even when your younger sibling tries to tell you otherwise.

3. You try to be good role model.

As the older sibling, you know it's not just your parents' attention that's on you. Your younger sibling is always watching, looking up to you to make the right decisions. It's difficult because not only do you feel your parents' pressure on you, but you feel your own as well. Having someone looking up to you makes you second guess a lot of your actions, because you don't want to be the one that made it seem okay to do stupid things. You want to make sure that you lead your sibling down the best path in life. And it's okay if you stumble on that path every now and then, because so will they. That's just life. But you know to never let those stumbles stop you.

4. You're always supportive.

Whether they've had a bad day, are about to compete in an event, or just need some advice, you're always there for them. You want them to know they can come to you for anything and that you will always support them whole-heartedly. Through thick and thin, it's you and them. Always. There's no support quite like an older sibling's.

5. You let them treat you in ways you wouldn't accept from anyone else.

They're the only ones that can call you names or make fun of you or start fights with you. They can take your clothes and break your stuff without you staying upset at them for too long. They're the only ones who can give you attitude without pissing you off. It's an understood rule that even when all that happens, there's nothing but love in the end.

6. Sometimes they listen to you, sometimes they don't.

When your parents told your younger sibling to do something when you were growing up, more often than not, they wouldn't really listen. When your parents couldn't get through to them, it took your convincing and understanding to get the job done. That sibling connection comes through most times, but sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes they fight you more than they fight your parents. It's always a gamble figuring out what way it's going to go down, but that doesn't mean you give up trying.

7. They bring out a side of you unseen by others.

You're strangest and most embarrassing moments have probably been with your younger sibling. Whether you're being silly together or over-the-top emotional, it's not something that's shown with anyone but each other. Sometimes there are random, unsuspecting moments when you get teary eyed because your love for your younger sibling hits you. Sometimes you're dancing around your house together and look in the mirror and see how ridiculous you are. You have burping contests together or you save the handmade crafts made for you with love. Whatever shape or form it takes, it's something unique.

8. You're always protective of them.

Just as your younger sibling is the only person allowed to treat you a certain type of way, you're the only one allowed to call your sibling names or insult them. Once someone else tries to come at your sibling, it's like something wild is unleashes in you. Suddenly, you're feeling more protective than you've ever felt in your life. At the same time, you also want to protect them from the big, harsh world. You know all the dangers that are lurking out there and you just want to keep your sibling safe forever. Unfortunately, you can't keep them sheltered forever (not that you haven't tried). But you know that if anything were to happen, you'd be the first to go in, guns blazing (metaphorically speaking, of course). Moments like those are when you know that you'd put their life before your own.

9. You feel nostalgic watching them.

Being older, you look at your younger sibling and how they're more carefree than you are. You wish you could go back to that age; when things were simpler for you and you didn't have as many responsibilities; when you could complain about things being unfair and slam doors and actually be able to change whatever it was that upset you so much. Maybe your sibling is even younger, and as you watch them play with Barbies and ponies and watch TV all day, you want to go back to that age even more. That was the age when the worst thing that could happen to you was having to eat vegetables with dinner. It makes you remember your past self and wish things could be that easy again.

10. Some of you're best memories involve them.

You've done so much with your siblings. You have more memories with them than with anyone else. Knowing that, it's not that hard to figure out that some of you're best memories involve them. From family vacations to simple, funny moments that happen in the comfort of your own home, there are memories you have with them that will be imprinted in your mind forever. Not that you'd ever want to change that, anyway.

11. You're like a parent but cooler.

You annoy them, you lecture them, and you make them do things they'd rather not be doing. You're also responsible for them and are ridiculously overprotective of them (as seen before). Overall, you have a lot of the same characteristics towards them that your parents do. The only difference? You're significantly cooler than your parents. You're closer to your sibling's age, so you get it better than your parents do. Every now and then you may hear the nickname of "mom" or "dad" said frustratedly and sarcastically, but we all know that deep in their hearts, they recognize how much cooler you are than an actual parent. And they're thankful for it, even if they don't tell us that.

12. They always make you feel unconditionally loved.

Yes, there are a lot of arguments and fights that go on. But in the end, it's all sibling love. Familial love is the strongest kind of love there is, and feeling that love from your sibling is powerful in a unique way. Younger siblings make you feel important when no one else can. When you are feeling your lowest and saddest and down right worst, they are the ones that are able to pull you up through the strength of their unconditional love. They offer comfort and solace in a way no one else in your life can. Your family is home, but your sibling is your special place. The place you go to when you want sanctuary and relaxation and enlightenment, and most important of all, love.