12 Things I Wish I Knew Before My Senior Year

No one told me, so here's my bestowed wisdom for you.

100
Jennifer Donaldson

I graduated high school two months ago and I'm preparing to start my freshman year of college. All throughout high school, adults, teachers and family always told me: "slow down," "don't blink," "it will all blow by." Spoiler alert: high school did not just blow by. There were seemingly endless days that came one right after another, teachers who all seemed to assign projects on the same week and more drama than most would care to admit. I received a lot of advice before and during high school, but here are the things I wish more people had been honest about.

1. Applying for college is expensive.

In my home state of Texas, the two largest schools had application fees of $75 each. Others had price tags of $40-60. These applications piled up quickly and unexpectedly.

2. Apply for college early.

At the beginning of the year, you feel like you have all the time in the world to write those application essays. That is until four schools share a single deadline and you are struggling on top of schoolwork to get everything submitted on time. Plus, the earlier you apply to a school, the more likely you are to get your preferred major, be considered for financial aid and apply for housing.

3. Back up your college applications and their matching essays in as many places as possible.

In November, the hard drive to my school computer died completely, and we were unable to recover any of my stuff off of the drive. Because of this, I lost everything I had written for the year, and eliminated any chance I could've had at reusing essays for new applications.

4. The rejection letters are not the ones that define you.

What will define you will be the place you choose to call home for the next four years. You are not a piece of paper. You are so much more than that, and the fact that a certain university failed to recognize that is their loss, not yours.

5. If your school has final exemptions, do everything in your power to qualify for them.

In the last few weeks of school, there is a whirlwind of activity going on. It's awesome, but also can be really stressful. If you are able to take one less stressor off of your plate, go ahead and do it.

6. The people you hang out with on prom night are the ones you'll want to keep in touch with forever.

Along with being some of my best friends, my prom group included future servicemen and women, a future teacher, a future neurosurgeon and a future musician. These people are the ones who changed my life, and we know we will always have each other.

7. You think you know what 'senioritis' is: until you make it to the final grading period.

"What's the point, anymore?" "We're about to graduate anyway." "I'm just so tired and I don't care."

Just keep your head up, and push through. It will be so rewarding when you are done.

8. It does not matter how many honors cords and awards you collect, your graduation day will still be absolutely thrilling.

You've done it. You've made it to this moment and you never gave up. Every crappy day (or crappy teacher) has done nothing to stop you. You're done! You're almost ready to be an adult now!

10. The moment you throw your cap in the air really isn't that special. The moment after when you look around and get to hug your best friends is.

There's a whole lot of hype behind tossing your cap, but it really is just some fabric and cardboard. The people are what make it great.

9. You will be scared of your future.

You won't always be sure what's coming next. Everything will be scary and nothing will seem to make sense. Reach out to your friends who feel just like you. And just know that it WILL all work out in the end.

10. Even once you've graduated, continue looking for scholarships!

There are plenty of small scholarships that are available even after you graduate. Sometimes all it takes is a quick form and an essay to earn $500, or even $1000 that could make your freshman year a little easier.

11. Enjoy you summer!

Everything will change in the fall, so enjoy your last moments in your hometown.

12. The gravity of it all will hit you when you least expect it.

Everything is changing. People you have known for years are moving 2000 miles away from you. You are leaving home, and you're going to have to do your own laundry. It's all scary, and sometimes it will hit you while you're going to work or walking through your usual grocery store. And that's okay. Just stop and take it in because you know that deep down, you are ready for this.