12 Struggles College Students Face During Christmas Time

A tale as old as time.

105

There are many magical stories told at Christmas time; from the Nativity to Rudolf, It's A Wonderful Life and Elf, there is no shortage of inspirational tales. The most relatable of Christmas tales, however, originated deep inside the dorms of the very first college students. Unlike most, this legend is more than just a story from the past; this tale reigns true in the hearts of all college students from then until the end of time. For years the struggles of the college student during Christmas time have been kept in the dark, but now it is time to reveal the truth

1. Walking across campus in the cold.

For the first struggle of Christmas, this semester brought to me... one frozen booty.

Let's face it, no one's body is fit to be walking around in the snow for long periods of time, and the layers that are required to walk comfortably leave you feeling like that kid from Christmas Story. Not to mention the global warming your own body goes through when you finally reach your destination and find yourself encapsulated in a sweaty sweater death trap- within five minutes of walking into a building you'll be dealing with your own climate change problems, only to relayer yourself after your 50-minute class is over.

2. Finals.

For the second struggle of Christmas, this semester left me... with two weeks till finals.

R.I.P. to all of the brave college procrastinators who will try and raise their grades from a -50% to a C in the final weeks of the semester- may the curve be forever in your favor.

3. Buying Christmas gifts for people you hardly know/ professors.

For the third struggle of Christmas, this semester gave me... 3pts extra credit.

Don't lie, we have all been in that awkward situation when you know someone well enough that a gift on Christmas is expected, but you panic because you realize that all you know about them is their name and anything you have pieced together about them by stalking their social media over the past 4 months. "Is it weird to get her that Jonas Brother's poster she said she wanted on facebook in 2011?" And let's not pretend we haven't all considered that last attempt at bribery, leaving a gift card or pack of gum attached to your final in hopes the professor will take pity on you and give you a little boost.

4. Running out of meal swipes and Flex.

For the fourth struggle of Christmas, this semester left me... with only four more meal swipes.

Along with having gold medals in procrastination, the average college student is a Divison One athlete in swiping that meal card- leaving the poor pupil surviving off of stolen Splenda sugar packets and questioning spending the additional 50 cents on the Coke with the cute little polar bear- this is what adulthood is all about.

5. Snow days? What are those?

For the fifth struggle of Christmas, this semester gave me... the same, old, five day weeks.

It's kind of hard for snow to stick when it is twenty degrees in the morning and sixty degrees by noon. Global warming is a thing *cough *cough Trump

6. Christmas candy temptations.

For the sixth struggle of Christmas, this semester made me... gain six pounds

I'm not sure how many of you like to indulge in Christmas candy, but I don't care who you are, if you dare to walk down the isle of misplaced willpower (what I like to call the candy section during this time of year) there is no way you come out without a carton full of sugar. These candy companies know you're coming too. Let me tell ya, they know what they are doing. With the cute packaging and the "bonus buy," they even have a cute little gingerbread man on the front wishing you a Merry Christmas. And of course I fall in love with his gumdrop buttons and soon enough I'm walking out with 6 cases of candy canes... but I digress.

7. Stress.

For the seventh struggle of Christmas, this semester gave me... seven mental breakdowns.

I already addressed hell week, aka finals, but let's not forget to wish a very Merry Christmas to all the late night cries on our laptops and questioning our life choices we did this year- but don't worry folks, once Christmas break is over, we will all be back here in a new year doing it all again. * eye twitch^

8. You found out Santa wasn't real 8 years ago but you're still not over it.

For the eighth struggle of Christmas, this semester left me... with eight years of disappointment.

Enough said. Thanks, Mom and Dad.

9. Decorating on a budget.

For the ninth struggle of Christmas, this semester left me... with nine baskets at Dollar Tree.

This particular struggle is the reason why my room walls are covered in 99¢ reflective wrapping paper and has a Christmas tree made out of multicolored twinkle lights in the corner. P.S. Pine scented car fresheners add a lovely aroma to a dorm room where candles are illegal.

10. No money for Christmas gifts.

For the tenth struggle of Christmas, this semester left me... with 10$ to buy gifts for 100 people.

Okay, so we all know college is the land of opportunity when it comes to friends, but one thing no one warned the broke, little, social butterfly about was that come Christmas time, there would be over a hundred little friendship hatchlings you would need to give a gift to in order to sustain the kinship over the long holiday break. Good luck, little one- and next year, be a little more anti-social.

11. Remembering that Christmas time isn't just Christmas time.

For the eleventh struggle of Christmas, this semester left me... with eleven new-to-me cultures.

One of the most intriguing, and sometimes the most challenging parts about college is being exposed to an array of new cultures and traditions, and Christmas time is no exception. Making a conscious effort to remember, recognize, and celebrate other religious/culture based holidays that happen around Christmas, such as Hanukkah, Ramadan and Kwanzaa (as well as many more.)

12. Homesickness.

For the twelfth struggle of Christmas, this semester left me... missing my family.

All of these things being said the most honest part of these struggles is this last one. We are all tired, burnt out, and missing home. It's the thought of curling up on our couch at home with a mug of hot chocolate, catching up with our family and friends that gets us through the semester. Stay strong, we are almost there.