12 Songs With Messages To Live By

12 Songs With Messages To Live By

These songs share messages we all need to hear.

4244
12 Songs With Messages To Live By

Music is meant to connect with us as listeners and make us feel a certain way. I'm sure we all have songs that we like to listen to when we're feeling angry or sad. Here is a list of 12 songs from different genres that all share messages that will inspire us to feel good!

1. "Mean," Taylor Swift

"Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me
And all you're ever gonna be is mean."

Swift sings about bullying and the negative effects it can have. She encourages her listeners to keep their heads up because bullies will always just be bullies, and one day things will get better.

2. "Strip Me," Natasha Bedingfield

"I'm only one voice in a million
But you ain't taking that from me"

At the end of the day, we've still got our voices and no one can take that away from us. This song talks about staying true to who you are and not allowing anyone to change that.

3. "Humble and Kind," Tim McGraw

"Hold the door, say "please", say "thank you"
Don't steal, don't cheat, and don't lie
I know you got mountains to climb
But always stay humble and kind"

With it's simple instrumentals and a message reminding us to be kind and remember where we came from, "Humble and Kind" is a sweet song that will leave you feeling both warm and nostalgic.

4. "Heart of Life," John Mayer

"Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No it won't all go the way it should
But I know the heart of life is good."

Mayer reminds us that even though there are many difficult things we will each have to go through, life is inherently good.

5. "Silver Lining," Kacey Musgraves

"If you're ever gonna find a silver lining
It's gotta be a cloudy day.

'Cause if you're ever gonna find a four leaf clover
You gotta get a little dirt on your hands"

Musgraves uses this cute song to share the message that sometimes we have to deal with the bad in life in order to reach the good.

6. "I Hope You Dance," Lee Ann Womack

"And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance.

I hope you dance....I hope you dance.

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance,
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Livin' might mean takin' chances but they're worth takin',
Lovin' might be a mistake but it's worth makin'"

I'm sure everyone has heard this song, but the message never gets old. We shouldn't be afraid of challenges and taking risks and we should always face our problems head on. We'll make more memories if we're out dancing than if we were to stay sitting on the sidelines, anyways.

7. "Break My Stride," Matthew Wilder

"Ain't nothing gonna break my stride
Nobody gonna slow me down, oh no
I got to keep on moving"

"Break My Stride" is an upbeat, optimistic song in which Wilder talks about how he will keep moving forward no matter what is thrown his way.

8. "The Middle," Jimmy Eat World

"Hey, don't write yourself off yet
It's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on.
Just try your best, try everything you can.
And don't you worry what they tell themselves when you're away."

It just takes some time,
Little girl, you're in the middle of the ride.
Everything, everything will be just fine"
.

"The Middle" talks about how things might not be going our way, but in the end everything will be okay.

9. "Who You Love," John Mayer ft. Katy Perry

"My girl, she ain't the one that I saw coming
And sometimes I don't know which way to go
And I tried to run before
But I'm not running anymore
Cause I've fought against it hard enough to know

That you love, who you love"

This slow, wholesome song talks about how we can't control who we love and who makes us happy, and that that's okay.

10. "Biscuits," Kacey Musgraves

"Just hoe your own row and raise your own babies
Smoke your own smoke and grow your own daisies
Mend your own fences and own your own crazy
Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy
"

"Biscuits" also reminds us that putting others down isn't going to make us feel better about ourselves. This song tells us all to just mind our own business and not to worry about what anyone else does.

11. "Issues," Julia Michaels

"'Cause I got issues
But you got 'em too
So give 'em all to me
And I'll give mine to you
Bask in the glory
Of all our problems
'Cause we got the kind of love
It takes to solve 'em
"

While this song may seem like a somewhat whiny ballad, the message is really about opening up to someone. It explores the idea that we all have issues and that relationships are about two people sharing those issues and working through them.

12. "Follow Your Arrow," Kacey Musgraves

"If you save yourself for marriage
You're a bore
If you don't save yourself for marriage
You're a whore-able person
If you won't have a drink
Then you're a prude
But they'll call you a drunk
As soon as you down the first one

...Just follow your arrow wherever it points"

Another hit from Kacey Musgraves! The message in this song is wonderful and one that everyone needs to live by - you're never going to please everyone, so do what you feel is right and don't worry about what other people say.