12 Songs to Help You Get Through Suffering

I Promise You're Not Alone

31
Bible Study Tools

Have you ever heard the story taken from Luke 10:38-42 in the bible? If you haven't, it is the memorable tale of two sisters named Martha and Mary who welcome Jesus Christ into their home as a guest. One sister, Martha, busies herself in order to make Jesus feel appreciated and properly attended to. Contrastingly, the second sister Mary chooses not to help her sister at all; rather, she sits at the feet of Jesus and "listens to Him speak." Martha, finding this so selfish and rude of Mary, begrudgingly commands Jesus to force Mary into helping her with the the cooking and cleaning:

“Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me.”

I am like Martha in so many ways. I get jealous and frustrated. I become angry and confused when life is not fair. I look around and see people doing so little, but being rewarded in abundance. I congratulate myself for going to Church every Sunday, but judge the people who don't.

A priest recently made a point about this passage I will never forget. He suggested that we can relate this short tale to our own suffering as humans. Notice how commanding Martha is in her statement to Jesus. She doesn't ask His will to be done--she doesn't even ask politely. She demands Jesus take this suffering away from her, all the while questioning if he even cares at all.

How many times do I tend to pray like this? How many times do I demand Jesus to take the hurt and pain away? How many times have I questioned God's love for me if he allows me to go through such adversity? I can definitely admit to countless times.

What I learn from this story each time I read it is that I am often not in control of the suffering that will come my way. However, I am in control of how I handle myself along the journey and how I make it to the finish line. When I pray, I need to ask Jesus for help, not command Him to take away the cross I was chosen to carry.As Jesus said to Martha:

“Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.”

Mary chose to sit and listen. Mary chose Christ before all else. Mary laid down her life before Him, despite everything that she had been through.

Lord, help me to be more like Mary. Help me to appreciate my suffering and know you endured so much more pain than I. Give me the strength to get through it and the faith to know I'm not alone. Help me to walk through it with you.

1) "Blessings" by Laura Story

What if my greatest disappointments or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy
What if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are your mercies in disguise

2) "Voice of Truth" by Casting Crowns

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
And the voice of truth says, "Do not be afraid!"
And the voice of truth says, "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

3) "What Faith Can Do" by Kutless

Life is so much more
Than what your eyes are seeing
You will find your way
If you keep believing

4) "By Your Side" by Tenth Avenue North

And I'll be by your side wherever you fall
In the dead of night whenever you call
And please don't fight these hands that are holding you
My hands are holding you

5) "Keep Holding On" by Avril Lavigne

There's nothing you could say
Nothing you could do
There's no other way when it comes to the truth
So keep holding on
'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through

Hear me when I say, when I say I believe
Nothing's gonna change, nothing's gonna change destiny
Whatever's meant to be will work out perfectly

6) "Never Alone" by BarlowGirl

I cried out with no reply
And I can't feel You by my side
So I'll hold tight to what I know
You're here and I"m never alone

7) "Smile" by Charlie Chaplin (Cover by Glee)

Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking.
When there are clouds in the sky
you'll get by.
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through
For you.

8) "What Love Really Means" by JJ Heller

I will love you for you
Not for what you have done
Or what you will become
I will love you for you
I will give you the love
The love that you never knew

9) "If You Want Me To" By Ginny Owens

So when the whole world turns against me
And I'm all by myself
And I can't hear You answer my cries for help
I'll remember the suffering Your love put You through
And I will go through the valley
If You want me to

10) "Who Am I" by Casting Crowns

I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow.
A wave tossed in the ocean.
A vapor in the wind.
Still You hear me when I'm calling.
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling.
And You've told me who I am.
I am Yours, I am Yours

11) "Oceans" by Hillsong United

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me

12) "Trust in You" by Lauren Daigle

When You don’t move the mountains I’m needing You to move
When You don’t part the waters I wish I could walk through
When You don’t give the answers as I cry out to You
I will trust, I will trust, I will trust in You