12 Small Ways To Lift Yourself After Disappointment

Keep your head up.

42
Deny Argyriou

There is an endless combination of reasons as to what caused your strife, but they all boil down to the same visceral reaction.

I could sit here and tell you all the kind words in the world, but this won't relieve your disappointment; it will only be masked temporarily.

I’ll say this much- disappointment is normal and healthy to express. This logic may not change the challenge of moving through the feeling, but it does give you a perspective of how this moment will pass.

In the meantime, here is a list of items to make your journey back to stable grounds a little more comfortable.

1. Find a quiet, private place with a window. Look out, and observe the details of the image in front of you.

2. Open the window and take a few deep breaths of the air from outside. In through your nose, out through your mouth.

3. Crawl into bed, eyes toward the ceiling. Focus on one spot of the ceiling for one minute. Find another, and do the same.

4. Get up. Walk to the kitchen and find a fistful of whatever food looks appetizing to you in this moment. Savor it.

5. Find a movie you once enjoyed, and watch it again. Pay special attention to the characters as they deal with whatever conflict is presented throughout.

6. Listen to whatever genre of music will allow you to dance around the room for a little while, or rest your head.

7. Create a list of your favorite parts of yourself. Limit this list to ten. Pick the most important of the ten, and think about why it is special to you.

8. Take a short drive to a place you’ve never been to before. Try not to use your GPS, pay attention to your surroundings instead.

9. Stretch, with length and precision. Feel every limb contract and relax at different points in time.

10. Wrap your self in a blanket, sit up right with legs crossed, and close your eyes. Let your thoughts wander to whatever ideas or feelings they may. Think and feel all of them.

11. Forgive yourself for all of it. Every idea thought and feeling felt.

12. Take a long, hot shower. Let the water wash over you like a silk hug. Allow this to be the last time you think and feel disappointed for the rest of the day. Spend as much time as you need.