12 Rom-Coms To Watch To Escape The Summer Heat

It's 115 degrees out. What other plans do you have?

8
happytrips.com

The temperature in Las Vegas is predicted to climb to 115 degrees this week. Now, I don't know about you, but I'll be taking cover in any in all air-conditioned oasis until the temperature drops back down to its rightful June temperature of low 100's. Here are some of my favorite romantic comedies to watch during this time of hibernation.

1. "Stuck In Love"

This is a movie about a family of writers who are trying to figure out how to launch and relaunch their careers and love lives. Also, Logan Lerman plays a sensitive, hopeless romantic, which will make your heart melt faster than your ice cream cone in this weather.

2. "Charlie St. Cloud"

This is a story that shows the strength of two brothers with an unbreakable bond. Supernatural elements turn this movie, and book, from what would be a predictable rom-com into something heart-wrenchingly beautiful. Zac Efron cries and so will you.

3. "The First Time"

For all the "Teen Wolf" fans, if you love Stiles Stilinski's adorkable personality, you'll be sure to fall in love with Dylan O'Brien's character, Dan, in this movie. It's hilarious, relatable, and just the right amount of cheesy, with no tissues necessary.

4. "My Girl"

The tearjerker to end all tearjerkers, but it is, nevertheless, a must-see. At its core, it is a coming of age story about two best friends as they navigate growing up and falling in love.

5. "Letters To Juliet"

You don't have to like Shakespeare to fall in love with this movie. It's a film about travel, history, and, ultimately, love and the lengths that individuals will go for it. Your eyes may get a tad watery, but there are no tissues needed for this one.

6. "The Perks of Being A Wallflower"

If Logan Lerman and Emma Watson starring in a movie together isn't enough to interest you, maybe the fact that it's a film adaptation of Stephen Chbosky's award-winning novel will. It's an honest and genuine production about teens struggling with issues like coming out, mental disorders, sexual assault, and accepting more love than you think that you deserve. You might need a tissue or two, but it's worth it.

7. "Easy A"

I love this movie so much that I dressed up as Emma Stone's character, Olive Penderghast, for Halloween last year. In this comedic spin on Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter," you'll see how over a hundred years later, society still slut shames women for having sex or, in Olive's case, pretending to. No tissues are needed unless you're someone who cries when they laugh uncontrollably.

8. "The Fault In Our Stars"

John Green is arguably my favorite author, so it is no surprise that the film adaptation of his novel "The Fault In Our Stars" makes this list. It's a breathtaking love story between two teenagers who've had to grow up too fast as a result of their terminal illnesses. The dialogue is spectacular and it continues to impress me each time I watch it. You will absolutely need tissues. I ugly cried just from reading the book.

9. "Mamma Mia!"

It's a musical and a love story! What could be better than that? Amanda Seyfried's character, Sophie, decides that she cannot be married unless her father attends the wedding. The problem is that there are three possible men who could be her father. When she invites all three to her wedding, drama and hilarious antics ensue. No tissues are necessary, but you'll probably need a hairbrush to sing into.

10. "The Notebook"

I'm not even sure that this needs stating, since this is arguably one of the greatest rom-coms in existence. It's the movie that gave girls high expectations about kissing in the rain and made them want a white house with blue shutters. The likelihood that I could quote this entire movie is unnaturally high. So, please, if you haven't seen it, watch it. At this point, it's a right of passage.

11. "Angus Thongs, And Perfect Snogging"

This movie is based on the "Confessions of Georgia Nicholson" book series by Louise Rennison. It captures how completely awkward and confusing it is to be fifteen years old, so it will be sure to bring you a little embarrassment and a lot of nostalgia. Also, it's a British film, so that's always fun.

12. "The Time Traveler's Wife"

This is the movie that made me realize that Rachel McAdams is the queen of rom-coms. It's a story about time travel, love, and all of the complications that accompany the two. Tissues are a must for this one.

Now, I wouldn't say that I'm an expert on rom-coms, but if rom-com knowledge was a major, I'd already be working on my master's degree. Here are my suggestions for your summer binge list. However, more importantly, what are your suggestions for me? I've seen all of these and will continue to re-watch them, but my obsession with rom-coms continues to grow. Leave your comments below and have an air conditioned summer full of laughs, tears, and lots of love.