12 Reboots Of TV Shows And Movies That Have Fans Excited

With the success of "Fuller House" and "Maleficent," studios are dusting off old properties and giving them a new outlook.

89
IFC

The definition of the word “reboot” is, the remake of a television show or film, with a refreshed or different viewpoint. In recent years, several reboots of famous movies and TV shows have been released, like “Fuller House,” and “Maleficent.” Here are some more reboots of TV shows and movies that fans are looking forward to.

1. “Ghostbusters” (July 16, 2016)

This summer, audiences will watch a continuation of the “Ghostbusters” series, which started with the first movie in 1984. This rebooted version will contain a cast of female Ghostbusters, which has gained some controversy for the film.

2. “Batman” (TBD)

After his first time portraying The Dark Knight in “Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice,” Ben Affleck was announced to be the director and one of the writers for the new solo Batman movie. Although the reviews for “Batman V. Superman” were mixed, the critics agreed that Affleck’s portrayal of Batman was one of the stronger parts of the film. The new “Batman” film is set to be released within the next five years.

3. “Power Rangers” (March 24, 2017)

With the recent release of new costume photos, the excitement for the new “Power Ranger” film is in full swing. The film is a more mature reboot of the 1990s TV show, and will be released next spring.

4. “Cruella” (TBD)

Similar to the movie “Maleficent,” “Cruella” will follow one of Disney’s most famous villains and bring them in as a protagonist. Emma Stone is in negotiations to play the fur wearing villainess in her self titled film. Cruella de Vil was first seen in the 1961 animated film “101 Dalmatians,” and was then portrayed by actress Glenn Close in the 1996 live action film.

5. “Beauty and the Beast” (March 17, 2017)

Another Disney classic is getting the live action treatment, with “Beauty and the Beast,” which, is slated to be in theaters next spring. Emma Watson and Dan Stevens will star as the title characters.

6. “Spider-Man: Homecoming” (July 7, 2017)

After two previous attempts of adapting the character, Spider-Man has found a new home with Marvel Studios. Already making his first appearance in the recently released “Captain America: Civil War,” British actor Tom Holland will be returning at Spider-Man in his first solo film set to be released in the summer of 2017.

7. “Gilmore Girls” (2016)

With the success of the “Full House” reunion, other favorite shows are coming back with updates on fan favorites. The “Gilmore Girls” revival is slated to be released on Netflix around Christmas 2016, and most of the original cast will be returning. The revival will contain four 90 minute episodes.

8. “Prison Break” (2017)

The hit Fox Network television show is set to return in early 2017. The reunion will take place where the last season of the show left off, and the original cast will be returning, along with some fresh faces.

9. “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” (TBD)

Last summer, news of a reboot of the 1990s television series was found by many sources. The reboot is currently in the very early stages, and Will Smith is set to return as a producer. Smith’s production company, Overbrook Entertainment, is looking to come up with a fresh idea for the “fish out of water” tale.

10. “DuckTales” (2017)

In 2017, Disney XD will premiere a reboot of the famous late 1980s cartoon that followed the adventures of Scrooge McDuck and his grandnephews Huey, Dewey and Louie. At their annual Disney convention, D23, Disney released new photos of the reboot.

11. “Star Trek” (2017)

The reboot of the classic Sci-Fi series will premiere on CBS in January 2017 and has found a captain in “Hannibal” and “Pushing Daisies” creator Bryan Fuller. Fuller got his start in television as a writer for “Star Trek” spin off “Star Trek: Voyager,” so giving him the role of executive producer and co-creator will be fitting. Alex Kurtzman, who also wrote for the recent “Star Trek” films, will also serve as the co-creator.

12. “Charmed” (TBD)

Former star Alyssa Milano revealed that CBS is in the early stages of development for a reboot of the popular 1990s television series. Although none of the original cast will be involved with the reboot, they have given their support to the reimagining of the television series.

With these new reboots being released, fans of all sorts of movies and tv shows have a lot to look forward to.