12 Reasons Why I Love My Odyssey Community

These past few months have been the greatest time of my life.

2

While there are many Odyssey teams/communities/groups than the one I'm attached to, our is definitely my favorite. I have spent so many long hours working on editing and working out kinks in my community, but I wouldn't take back a second of it. The girls in my community are very special to me and it kills me when they leave. From the very beginning in April, to whenever we all move on, this has been an amazing experience and I wouldn't trade it or any of my creators for the world.

1. I can't bear to part with them for too long

While it is sometimes really really hard to find time to talk to the other people in my community, we make time for each other. If someone has a question, they can post it in our group message and someone is always there to answer. Going on a short vacation over summer nearly killed me because I wasn't able to communicate with them as much. It was sad to me because I couldn't handle being away from them.

2. We are really just like a family

Story time: A few months back, a few of the creators in my community were going through some rough things. I even had a rough patch over the summer. When I mentioned it to them, two of them were more than happy to give me some seriously solid advice and tell me what they really thought. Sometimes we all need that kind of honesty and I got it from my Odyssey family.

3. Talking about random things keeps us close

A few weeks back, an article dropped into my dashboard about a comment made about adoption, and talking about it with my team led to some pretty new developments. It turns out, a few girls on my team were also adopted at a young age, and we were able to bond and talk about our families versus our biological ones. I learn so many new things about my creators all the time and that's what I love the most.

4. We aren't all based at a college

Some of my writers are high school students, and their perspectives are something I value. Articles about how to survive your senior year get so much feedback and it's so awesome to know that we have someone who can be a writer and deal with all the homework and the stress that is high school.

5. I've met people I wouldn't have met otherwise

Since my team is based at Vincennes University, I should only really have Vincennes people to deal with, but my team is special because I also get to have people from Indiana State University on my team. We are pretty diverse when it comes to style, writing style, and our majors, but being based at different schools puts us in a whole different category.

6. Having a double-school group is really exciting

Classes start on different dates, they get days off that we don't (and likewise), and the weather isn't always the same. The differences are great because it gives us all something to talk about, and the creators get to interact with people from different schools.

7. We connect about things other than Odyssey...

Hour-long conversations about pizza are typical of college students, and that has definitely happened in the group chat. We were all able to bond over pizza and topping choices and everything. We also talk about cats a lot, and there's nothing quite like getting up in the morning and seeing 17 pictures of cats and toe beans and everything else that makes cats wonderful.

8. ...even outside of Odyssey.

It's really nice to be able to talk to creators outside Odyssey as friends on campus. Having classes with your creators is also pretty amazing. Every time I meet a new creator in person it is a huge achievement. I love being able to sit down with them and talk about class or art or music because we are all super different from each other and they suggest bands and songs or books and suddenly, we're great friends.

9. I love each and every one of my creators

Every creator I have or have had has been wonderful. Even when they ran out of time or couldn't make it in by the deadline, I am so glad that I have had the pleasure of getting to know such wonderful people through Odyssey.

10. We work out problems together

Every week like clockwork, someone posts about having writer's block, and while that isn't the best thing to deal with, everyone on the team usually pulls together to try and figure out a subject, a headline, or even a basic idea for an article or a listicle. My favorite thing about being an EIC is when they work through some issue without me, and this is one that they all typically conquer on their own. It's one of the best parts of the week.

11. My AME is the real MVP

NO ONE. I repeat, no one is better than my AME, Amanda. From the very beginning I have valued her wisdom and her guidance when it comes to all things Odyssey. Without her, I wouldn't have become an EIC, I wouldn't be leading a community, and I certainly wouldn't be this good at it. I am forever thankful and will be eternally in her debt for every situation she has pulled me through and every single question she has answered. My AME is my friend and my ally. I couldn't ask for anyone better than her.

12. My Contributing Editor is always there when I need her

Whether it has been for Odyssey, or even just for advice, my CE has been there. She helped me through some rough stuff over summer, she helps me with ideas, and I can always count on her to be there if I text. While she is also very busy with school and life, I am forever grateful for the time she makes for me and our team. Thank you, Marisa!!

To those of you who have moved on from my team, thank you for writing with us, for laughing with us, and for giving me a chance to work with you. To those of you who are still with me, thank you for everything you do; you are truly special to me.