12 Reasons Why You're Likely Exhausted Right Now

Common reasons why you're so tired and ways to fix them.
25

1. You’re Not Getting Enough Sleep

This one is pretty straight forward. Go to sleep. I can’t really talk much here because I’m about as nocturnal as an owl. I really think I was born for a different time zone. So I’ll leave it at that: Go to sleep.

If you really do struggle with sleeping, get yourself some melatonin from a CVS, Rite Aide, or a grocery store, put your phone face down, turn on the history channel and close your eyes. Works like a charm.

2. You’re Thinking Too Far Ahead

STOP. STOP RIGHT NOW. Summer is the time to live in the moment and enjoy yourself! If you keep thinking about all the responsibilities that are about to come barreling your way in a month, you’ll end up exhausted. Believe me when I say mind over matter absolutely applies here. My advice here is to take a deep breath and try your best to live in the moment. Live day by day in the summer. Worry about thinking ahead later.

3. Parents

This one speaks for itself. They love you and they mean so well. They truly do want what’s best for you! But they can also drive you insane. Parents can add unnecessary stress to your life and that stress manifests by taking away your energy. The solution to this? Go to college. As fast as you can.

4. Annoying People (Are Everywhere)

If you’re like me and you hate people, this is a likely candidate. When people you are close to are troubled or troubling you, it can take quite the toll on you. Demanding a lot of your time and energy without even realizing it. Live by the quote “drama drains” and try and avoid it as best you can. My only advice to fix this kind of exhaustion is to get away from whatever scenario you’ve found yourself in the middle of.

5. Running Away From Your Responsibilities

This one is definitely the most exhausting one on the list. I must be on like mile 47 by now. I’m not even sure how my legs are still going. There is no solution to this exhaustion other than to face your responsibilities so basically, there is no solution to this exhaustion. I’m so sorry.

6. You’re Doing Too Much

Basically, you need to chill out.

“Too much” is a relative term. Just because it seems like everyone else is doing more than you, does not mean you need to do more. In truth you’re probably doing plenty. Try making a list of everything you’re tackling currently. Are you part of a team? Summer sports are more than huge commitments. Are you working? Jobs drain you endlessly and likely stress you out over managing your income. Are you taking classes? That one speaks for itself. Sometimes you may be taking on more than you can handle without realization. Of course you’re exhausted. Make that list of everything you’re doing and find one or two things you can cut off your list. I assure you, you’ll feel much better.

7. You’re Not Doing Enough

This would seem like something that would relax you more than exhaust you. Believe it or not, if you are used to being challenged, if you are used to a certain rigorous workload, doing nothing can be mentally exhausting. Your brain is bored! In simple terms, it’s tired of not being used. While that seems silly, it happens more often than you’d think. Try planning something into your week. Something small! Hiking with friends twice a week maybe. Pick up an art or a sport. Something to keep you a little more preoccupied without demanding too much of your time. Perhaps all you need is something to do.

8. Too Much Sun

It’s summer and everyone wants to enjoy the sun. Well, sun is exhausting if you aren’t hydrating correctly. And apparently, hydration with anything other than water is not considered hydration. Who knew am I right? You have to take care of yourself especially if you’re from an area where you’re constantly in sunlight.

9. Making Heavy Decisions

This one is the nemesis of many females. Truthfully, this comes hand in hand with running away from your responsibilities. (Pro Tip: If you run away fast enough, you’ll never have to make heavy decisions). Heavy decisions can definitely exhaust you as you debate with which direction you’ll go in, weighing the benefits and consequences on both ends. Usually if you come to find yourself making heavy decisions, it’s because they’re necessary. So unfortunately, there is no solution to the exhaustion surrounding making heavy decisions other than to follow the careful instructions I have provided in number five above.

10. Relationships

Relationships can be absolutely amazing and spirit lifting things! I wouldn’t really know, I hate them. They can very easily be exhausting. Caring for someone is a lot of work and sacrifice. If you are finding that your relationship is exhausting you day after day then maybe this is something to be discussed with your partner. The occasional tiredness isn’t anything to get worried about! It just means you’re putting in effort. Go you.

11. Naps

It’s rather unfortunate, but naps can make you more tired than you were before. If you need a nap you’re likely having issues with number one in this article. Time your naps and set alarms so you don’t sleep too much. Sleeping too much at odd times can not only exhaust you further but throw off your sleeping for that night. Essentially, it becomes a vicious cycle.

12. Eating too Much

Eating too much will make you tired that is a fact. However, I will be frank, food is my best friend and I will eat as much as I want to thank you. That is all.