12 Reasons Marquette Basketball Fans Should Be Excited This Year

Stand up, Marquette! We need you.

142

I don't know about you, but Marquette Madness this past Friday has made me so pumped for the upcoming Marquette basketball season. With only 28 days until the first exhibition game against Valley City State, 61 days until the game against our home-state rivals The Wisconsin Badgers, and 79 days until our first Big East game against Seton Hall, there's a lot to look forward to because....

1. The team is actually going to be pretty good.

With new recruits like Traci Carter, Sacar Anim, Hanif Cheatham, and of course Henry Ellenson, this is the first time Wojo will get to show Marquette a team he truly built. We're no longer just eight strong; we have a very solid team of 14 guys.

2. You finally have a chance to wear all that Marquette gear you've been stocking up on.

Everyone goes a little crazy spending Marquette Cash at the Spirit Shop when school first starts. Finally you'll have a chance to rock your knee high socks, bucket hat, and face stickers at the game.

3. The walk or the bus ride to and from BMO.

While my personal preference is to walk from campus to the BMO, the bus is a great option, too. Taking the shortcut by the courthouse and through the parking garage is always fun. No matter how you choose to get there you'll be sorrounded by fellow Marquette fans all full of excitement. This is when the Marquette community definitely makes a big impact on the city of Milwaukee.

4. New fans will get to learn all the traditions of the student section.

From the confetti after the first basket, to the slow clap during "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC, to all those bizarre Fatheads, the traditions of Marquette's student section are pretty extraordinary. It's exciting for the freshmen to learn the traditions, and for returners to watch all the new fans learn what being in the student section is like.

5. Weeknight games are a great way to avoid studying for that test you have tomorrow or that group project that's due next week.

Whether you admit it or not, we all procrastinate. Weeknight basketball games are a great escape from reality. It's a time to clear your head, stop worrying about the stress of school, and instead cheer on your school with your friends.

6. BMO Bradley Center has Dippin' Dots.

I hope to one day get to the point in my life where I can afford to fill an entire pool with Dip n' Dots and swim in it. Dippin' Dots are the nectar of the Gods and I stand by that till the day I die.

7. Post-game celebratory meal.

Okay, sometimes you may be trying to eat away your feelings after a hard defeat. Nonetheless, good food after the game is a must. May I suggest Ian's Pizza? It's just a short walk on Juneau Avenue from the Bradley Center.

8. Marquette fans will get to witness some Big East Conference wins.

The Big East is an awesome conference to be a part of. Now, with Marquette's solid team, it's time to amp up that Marquette vs. DePaul rivalry that would make the Big East Conference all the more exciting.

9. Bringing friends and family to experience a Marquette game with you.

It is so exciting bringing friends from other universities or family members to a Marquette basketball game. There's nothing quite like sharing the pride you feel for your school with others and making them feel a part of the community as well.

10. Watching the team win in the student section.

I have never felt so much a part of the Marquette community as I do when watching the basketball team win in the student section. Though those wins were few and far between last year, it is an awesome feeling, leaving the Bradley Center after a win.

11. You'll remember these games for the rest of your life.

Marquette basketball games were definitely some of my favorite memories of my freshman year at college, and I'm looking forward to making more of those memories this year. It's where I grew closer to my friends, where I made new friends, and where I realize how much I truly love Marquette University.

12. Making it to The Final Four!

It's been a long 12 years since the last time Marquette made it to The Final Four with Dwayne Wade in 2003. Hopefully that'll be changed this year. Stand up Marquette! We need you. Let's get ready for an awesome basketball season.