12 Protest Songs That Are Still Relevant Today

Does History Really Repeat Itself?

940
Diariocatolico.net

When a song has powerful lyrics and an addictive beat, it becomes timeless. A song like Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" can get an entire group of both young and old out of their seats and singing along. When you have a song that speaks out on the injustices of society, it can be empowering to see it resurface and help a new cause. However, it can also be discouraging to realize that the lyrics of struggle still reign true to problems in the world today. In no particular order, here are some songs that are still relevant to current world issues today.

1. "Dear Mr. President" - Pink ft. the Indigo Girls (2005)

With lyrics such as "What kind of father would take his own daughter's rights away? And what kind of father might hate his own daughter if she were gay?" The song criticizes pieces of the Bush administration's terms, including the No Child Left Behind Act, the disapproval of gay rights, the Iraq War, no empathy for the lower and middle class, and Bush's privileged life and strong religious beliefs. Today, other political leaders are claimed to fill the same criteria as was expressed towards Bush in Pink's song.

2. "They Don't Care About Us"-Michael Jackson (1996)

The song was deemed to have some of Jackson's most controversial lyrics. The lyrics, "Jew me, sue me, everybody do me/ Kick me, kike me, don't you black or white me" were stated to be racist and anti-Semitic. Jackson responded, stating that the all the lyrics in the song were intended to draw attention to the social and political injustices caused by prejudice and hate. Today, the song's lyrics carry the same relevant message.

3. "American"-Macklemore (2009)

From Macklemore's album, "The Unplanned Mixtape," the song, "American" mocks the stereotypical characteristics of a conservative republican. He performs the song as a "proud American" named Aberdeen Washington who enjoys watching football, despises terrorists and Mexicans, and is homophobic. The latter characteristics continue to be controversial topics for candidates in the current presidential race.

4. "Burn Hollywood, burn"-Public Enemy (1990)

The song discusses the lack of proper black representation in Hollywood as well as the common use of black stereotypes. In February of 2016, the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite took off after only white actors and actresses were chosen fro the top four categories for the second year in a row.

5. "American Skin (41 Shots)"-Bruce Springsteen (2001)

The song was inspired by the death of Amadou Diallo, an unarmed 23 year old immigrant from Guinea who was shot and killed by four New York police officers in 1999. The news that Diallo was unarmed caused controversy at the time, blaming the officers for police brutality, racial profiling, and contagious shooting, all of which are still controversial issues in US society. The song contains lyrics such as "It ain't no secret, No secret my friend, You can get killed just for living in your American skin."

6. "You Don't Own Me"-Lesley Gore (1963)

The song was released during the feminist movement, it became an inspiration for younger women of the time. In 2015, a new version was released under the same producer, Quincy Jones, who featured the Australian singer/songwriter Grace and American rapper G-Eazy for the new recording.

7. "Which Side Are You On?"-Pete Seeger (1931)

This song discuss the American labor movement, celebrating the right of worker to unite and protest. Today, class warfare continues in the United States.

8. "Frijolero"-Molotov (2002)

The lyrics of the song are an exchange between a Mexican and an American character calling out racial slurs at one another concerning their division based on the Mexico-US border. Fourteen years after the song's release, the song continues to remain relevant to current controversies with Mexican immigrants crossing the border into the United States.

9. "We Shall Overcome"-Mahalia Jackson (1901)

The song became a key anthem of the African-American Civil Rights movement. Mahalia worked closely with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. This version was considered the unofficial anthem of the Civil Rights movement in the 50's and 60's. The song has been used time and time again for various movements and continues to be used today.

10. "Revolution"-The Beatles (1968)

Inspired by political protests held in the 60's, Lennon's lyrics express doubt in the tactics being used. The song has since been used many times, occasionally controversially, such as in an 80's Nike commercial without the group's permission as well as during Donald Trump's political campaign trail back in February.

11. "Where Is the Love?" -Black Eyed Peas (2003)

The group's iconic track was written to reflect the troubles in society after 9/11. Thirteen years later, the group decided to create a new version of the song, with new lyrics written in response to the terrorist attacks, mass shootings, and protests that have occurred in 2016.

12. "A Change Is Gonna Come"-Same Cooke (1964)

The song was inspired by Cooke's personal experiences with discrimination. The song became an anthem for the Civil Rights movement. Despite different social struggles, the song continues to speak relevant on the fight for change.

A playlist of all the songs mentioned can be found here: