12 Pros And Cons Of Being A Double Major

It's hard work, but the results are very rewarding.

1174
Florida College Access

A current student at SUNY Oneonta named Kenneth Schick stated that being a double major is pretty dank and he loves the experience. Also being a fellow double major, I believe his statement is true, but it can also be stressful. Being a double major opens up so many doors and new opportunities. It also brings more work, but if you work hard enough, the results are endless.

Here are 12 pros and cons of being a double major:

Pro #1: You have double the classes to choose from when it comes to required classes.

Con #1: Unless you came in with college credits already or take the maximum amount of credits each semester, you probably will not graduate on time.

Pro #2: More experiences are brought your way!

Con #2: The two majors might have completely different requirements.

Pro #3: You take interesting classes!

Con #3: You have more work.

Pro #4: You have two advisors.

Con #4: Sometimes both of your advisors don’t make any sense.

Pro #5: Double dipping.

Con #5: You can’t cross over too many classes for one requirement.

Pro #6: Saying you’re a double major sounds really cool.

Con #6: Saying what your major is can and always is a mouthful.

Pro #7: You have more opportunities available to you!

Con #7: You might have a bit of more stress than non-double majors.

Pro #8: You’re a great planner.

Con #8: Because you have to plan out everything from schedules to what classes you have to take four semesters from now.

Pro #9: You’re keeping busy.

Con #9: You’re always busy. From classes to extracurriculars for credit, you’re always on the move.

Pro #10: You can major in anything that you want. You can be a double major in geology and musical theatre if you wanted to!

Con #10: That doesn’t exactly mean you’ll graduate with a job in either of those fields, though.

Pro #11: You have plenty of friends that share the same interests as you!

Con #11: They might not get what you’re referring to when you’re talking about your other major.

Pro #12: You’re a double major for a reason and are enjoying exploring two different degrees.

Con #12: Sometimes, you wish you could pick up a third major.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F01%2F31%2F6358982664870904391309720440_images%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcQma6tZy7j9F-i68JUYCLmUFiN0zNrBJL4hLg1pOzXMY21LEH8fhg&ho=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com&s=359&h=ff01f10ff1745ecafac4d6ce6ec5623aee39911fb262f778b834e88a01ec0002&size=980x&c=781627222 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F01%252F31%252F6358982664870904391309720440_images%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcQma6tZy7j9F-i68JUYCLmUFiN0zNrBJL4hLg1pOzXMY21LEH8fhg%26ho%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com%26s%3D359%26h%3Dff01f10ff1745ecafac4d6ce6ec5623aee39911fb262f778b834e88a01ec0002%26size%3D980x%26c%3D781627222%22%7D" expand=1 original_size="1x1"]