12 Things I Miss About Notre Dame Academy, Toledo

My Best Memories From High School

317
Catholic Schools Toledo Diocese

Notre Dame Academy in Toledo, Ohio was my high school and home for four years. It is an all girls school and when I tell my friends in college that, they are always asking how I survived. I would tell them I did survive and loved every minute of it. NDA holds a special place in my heart because it was where I met so many great friends and made so many memories. I love to brag about how great NDA is so here are 12 things I miss about NDA.

1. Uniforms

Uniforms always seemed terrible until college. I truly miss them because it was so easy to get ready in the morning since we had to wear the same plaid skirt and polo every day. It would only take me five minutes to get dressed in the morning. Now I have to make sure all my outfits match before I leave my dorm.

2. Prayer

Prayer was such a huge part of our day at NDA. We would pray before lunch and in the morning. Class would always start off with intentions followed by a prayer. It was an relaxing way to start off class and now I have The Serenity Prayer memorized for the rest of my life. Also, I always enjoyed May Crowning and the different prayer services throughout the year. Each one was so different and a great way to practice our faith.

3. Lunch

Lunch was easily where I bonded with my group of friends the most. Those 50 minutes every day were dedicated to eating and socializing. I miss Bosco Sticks and the famous chocolate chip cookies. Some great memories were made within the walls of the Dining Hall.

4. Teacher Videos

One of my favorite NDA traditions was the annual opening assembly teacher video along with the other teacher videos for Christmas and the Variety Show. I always loved watching my teachers act ridiculous for our enjoyment. They were truly the best faculty and staff.

5. Windows

You don't appreciate windows until you are sitting in a lecture hall and all you want to do is take a break and look outside for a little bit. But you can't because in most rooms, there are no windows. I miss the huge floor to ceiling windows and having a view in every classroom.

6. Halloween

Halloween was my favorite holiday at NDA. I always looked forward to seeing all the creative costumes. The costume contest during lunch was so entertaining to watch. I will definitely miss dressing up for my classes this year.

7. Getting Dressed Up for Dances

Since I went to an all girls school and wore a uniform every day, it was very rare for people to do their hair and make up. Dances were an expectation and everyone looked nice and pretty. I will miss getting all dressed up for Prom, Date Dance, and Christmas Dance with my friends and taking cute pictures.

8. Sports

NDA has such great spirit and pride for our sports and athletes. I loved going to Pep Point games and cheering on my teammates. It was always fun to match the theme. As an athlete myself, I miss my lacrosse team and playing on the field. Sports brought me close to so many people and it was so much fun to participate!

9. Visitations

Visitations are when 8th graders from different schools around the Toledo area would come visit NDA. We would give them a little taste of what NDA is all about by giving them a tour and showing them everything our school has to offer. Those two days were the most fun because of the multiple interruptions and pep rallies that would happen throughout the day.

10. Musicals

I was always so amazed by NDA musicals. There are some truly talented people there. I loved watching the acting, dancing and singing on stage. It was also cool to see people you know from class up there, showing off their different talents. I am always impressed and I plan to come back and see this year's musical.

11. Mardi Gras

Mardi Gras is the highlight of second semester at NDA. The food was delicious and the raffle baskets were probably my favorite. No matter how many tickets I would put in them, I would always lose. It was also hilarious when we "pied" teachers in the face. Mardi Gras definitely let me live fat Tuesday to the fullest without any regrets.

12. Spirit Week

Spirit week was another one of my favorites. Each day of the week had a theme that we dressed to. I loved learning about the theme then trying to dress to it each day. My group of friends dressed up as a dysfunctional family for "Family Friday" last year.