How the past year has taught me self-growth and healing
Life Stages

Where Were You 12 Months Ago?

"12 months ago, I was broken hearted"

201
Where Were You 12 Months Ago?

Do you ever just stop for a moment to realize what has changed in the last few months? Healing and self-growth both take time and those were two major aspects I focused on this past year.

12 months ago, I had a broken heart. I was initially at a great place-in my life and relationship. Everything was literally perfect until I was blindsided by unforeseen circumstances when someone really important left my life.

It took a long time for me to pick up those pieces and feel okay again. Honestly, part of me will always feel uneasy when things are good because they can end in a blink of eye, without any warning. That is just a risk you have to learn to take.

11 months ago, I was a sorority recruitment counselor- where I learned how quickly it would take me to meet people and fall in love with their happiness. Each day was a rollercoaster of an adventure, but I will forever want to protect them and will be there for whether they need a mint, a coffee filter or some life advice.

10 months ago, I planned and executed my last sisterhood chapter retreat. It took months to plan and coordinate but successfully the girls were able to bond with each other and learn more about teamwork. I learned that I actually really enjoy planning large events, despite the hiccups that come with it.

9 months ago, I got into a really bad accident that I could have lost my life in. I was terrified of not being able to control my own fate. In the 3 seconds that my life was changed I had certain people in my head that I immediately needed to reach out to.

Now, I try not to take for granted people or moments:good or bad.

8 months ago was when I was finally okay again with creating my own source of happiness. My birthday wish was to push myself out of my comfort zone and make sure if something interested me- I'd at least give it a shot, no matter how much it scared me.

7 months ago I became best friends with my roommate, who came into my life unexpectedly but I for sure can't imagine my life without. We had many spontaneous nights, belly laughs and heart to hearts; which I am so happy to continue this fall.

6 months ago, finally I was ready to let a really special person into my life and I didn't think I could ever get to that point again. I couldn't be more grateful for where we are now and how much he has influenced my life.

5 months ago I decided to apply for some positions that could stimulate personal growth, ones that I never believed I would get or even qualify for. At the end of the day, I told myself that interview experience is always needed and it couldn't hurt.

4 months ago I started to spend more time with old friends and I realized the importance of growing together and having a common understanding. Also, I realized what it means to whole-heartedly love someone.

3 months ago, an outline for my future became more clear, with being accepted into the programs I hesitantly applied for months ago. This made me have a more positive outlook on how my actions have a direct influence on my future.

2 months ago I dreaded leaving all the people that made this past year worth-while. With coming home, I started shadowing at a pediatric clinic and realized how much of an impact I would love to have working with tiny humans.

In one month from now, I'm sure a lot will change but I know that I will stay grounded with my love for my family and friends. I challenge you, to reflect on your growth from the past year. Be proud of where you are now. My advice to you: Never stop laughing and keep pushing yourself.