12 Misconceptions And Struggles Of Being A Plus Size Woman

Love the skin you are in, don't body shame and keep being you.

1342
Lane Bryant

Society's beauty standards in this day and age are unnecessary. They lie to young girls and boys, we grow up thinking we have to look a certain way or dress this type of way. Bigger people are shamed while thin people are being praised as the ideal body type. What people need to know is that your size doesn't matter, any size is the ideal body type. You don't have to be thin if you don't want to, you don't have to be big if you don't want to. Society shouldn't have a say on your body, you do. I myself, being a plus size woman, know the struggles and misconceptions that can come with being a bigger size, labeled as "Plus Size".

1. Misconception: Plus size women are usually very unhealthy and don't exercise.

There are plenty of women in the world who are a big size and love to exercise, and if she does exercise or not it's none of your damn business.

2. Struggle: When retail stores make plus size clothing measured out of proportion.

One size is considered plus size, one size isn't. Finding a size is different for each store and some plus size clothes are made as if we don't like our bodies.

3. Misconception: All plus size women hate their bodies.

Many, many, many, big women love their bodies and accept themselves. You should too.

4. Struggle: Not every store has a plus size section, and if they do, it's online only.

This is the ultimate struggle because you don't know your size from that store or online, so it's just a huge guessing game.

5. Misconception: Plus size women are desperate for love and affection.

Honey, the only love and affection I need is from me, myself, and I.

6. Struggle: The fact that there is a split between being a regular model and a plus size model.

Because in all honesty wether they are plus size or not they're still models. So why put a label on things?

7. Misconception: Plus size women are not allowed to wear crop tops.

We are allowed to wear crop tops because crop tops are cute no matter what size you are. Wear those crop tops girl!

8. Struggle: Having to pay an excessive amount of money for clothes that are bigger than regular sizes.

Really? Someone who is a smaller size than me gets to pay $20 less than I do because I require more fabric?

9. Misconception: Plus size women can't be athletes.

Tell that Sarah Robles, who was in the olympics and Ashley Graham who was the first plus size woman on Sports Illustrated.

10. Struggle: Chub Rub.

Thick thighs are a struggle and when you rub your skin raw like the devil himself, or when you wear jeans and the crotch of them rubs away into the deep abyss.

11. Misconception: That plus size women enjoy and appreciate being cat called.

In what context does any woman enjoyed being cat called? Just because we're bigger doesn't mean cat calling is a blessing and or a compliment.

12. Struggle: Just the fact that women that are bigger need to be labeled as "Plus Size"

Don't treat us like a different species, because we are in fact beautiful human beings who deserved to be treated as such. So why label us as that way?