12 Signs You Grew Up In A Friends School

31

For anyone who grew up in a Quaker school, you know it was an extremely unique experience, and it shaped you as a person. We were always different from the public school kids, and our everyday lives were a little unconventional. No matter how much we complained, we all know at heart that we loved being able to grow up in a Friends school.

1. You have an instant bond with anyone you meet who also went to a Friends school.

2. You didn't understand why people thought it was weird that you called your teachers by their first names.

3. No one ever heard of the school you went to.

4. You have a useless database of knowledge about William Penn.

Me: Did you know William Penn actually only lived in Pennsylvania for three years? True story.

Other people: Nerd!

5. Ninety percent of your teachers dressed like this:

6. Your class was like your second family.

With only 10 to 20 kids in each grade, it was impossible not to get close to everyone over the years.

7. Partly because of that, you probably go to a small liberal arts school for college.

8. You despised having to go to meeting for worship every day.

Sitting in an awkward room for 20 minutes where you can't talk or move? (Yawn.) No thanks.

9. Subsequently, missing the heck out of meeting for worship once you graduated.

When you went to high school or college and didn't have meeting for worship anymore, you felt like something was missing from your day.

10. Getting excited when Quakerism is mentioned in your high school or college classes, because you're kind of a pro.

11. Spice is more than just stuff to put in your Chipotle burrito. It's a way of life.

12. You were lucky enough to have made some of the most meaningful, sincere, and lasting friendships of your life at school.