The Cullen Girls: Part 17

The Cullen Girls: Part 17

Follow the lives of Meredith, Amy, Olivia, Sarah, and Jane Cullen, as they navigate the unknown territories that come with building a family through adoption.

58
The Cullen Girls
Kerri Caldwell

Jane has always loved being the baby of the family. She loves that she can have anyone's attention in a heartbeat, and knows she can get away with murder. Her sisters spoiled her, and her mom often babied her. But these days, she's starting to want her space from them. She's not sure if it has more to do with Davey, or just getting older. It had all started after the first time she'd had sex. She'd realized a lot of things after that party - about herself, and her sisters. As complicated as that was, she hadn't expected things to get harder after her sisters found out. She was hoping everyone would stop treating her like she was 5, but instead, the smothering was getting worse. Amy had recently insisted that Jane - and only Jane - come over once a week for dinner. It had come as a result of Jane complaining she never got to see her sister anymore. They'd been out golfing, something Jane hated.

"Lord above, Jane, why did you come out here with me if you're just going to complain?"

"Because!" Jane yells, chucking her club across the green or lawn, or whatever it's called. "It was my only chance to spend time with you!"

Amy holds her hands out. "What are you talking about?"

"You're always so freakin busy now, you never call me back - "

"Oh my god. I forgot to call you back ONCE."

"But you never forget."

"I'm a little busy these days."

"You're not too busy to golf, the fucking most boring game in the world!"

"Sorry, I'm not into Ninja Warrior." Amy goes to retrieve Jane's club. "I should've known something was up when you agreed to come."

"Yeah, you should've realized I'd started to lose my mind. I think I lost the rest of it during our 500-mile walk."

Amy rolls her eyes. "They would've given us the cart if you hadn't tried to bribe the guy with fifty dollars to let you drive it."

"At least I would've had some fun," Jane mumbles under her breath as she tries to balance the club in her hand.

"Ok!" Amy yells, knowing they aren't getting anywhere. "Just finish this last hole, and we'll get some lunch."

Jane grumbles an agreement while Amy takes her shot. She takes two more, and when it's Jane's turn, she makes hers in one shot.

"What are the odds of that?" they ask each other, Jane, in delight and Amy in disbelief. Jane laughs at her sister's face.

"I still hate this game." She tells Amy as they walk back to the clubhouse. Amy punches her when she sticks her thumb out to an old couple driving by in a cart.

"Good, cuz I never want to play with you again."

"You'd think I'd be offended."

Amy laughs before pulling Jane to her. "Listen, I was thinking you, and I should have dinner once a week. I know I've been even more distant than before."

"Amyyyy - "

"C'mon. It'll be fun."

"I don't see how, but fine. If it means I get to see you."

So far, Amy's dinners were actually the highlight of her week. The only person in her family that treated her the same was Meredith, who had no clue about her and Davey. Olivia turned out to be the most annoying. She bought condoms, telling Jane she should never leave it up to the guy.

"I'm not an idiot, and neither is my boyfriend."

"You can't be too prepared."

More than once Olivia had caught her and Davey on the swing at the edge of the yard. She acted like she was surprised to stumble across them in that very spot so late at night. Olivia made every visit with Davey an irritating event.

"Janey's never brought a boy to dinner before."

"And?" Jane glares at her sister.

"Nothing, it's just that Davey's your first."

Jane and Davey choke on their food while Sarah has to get up and leave the table. Meredith was deep in a conversation with Amy, but Jane's face still burns. She stabs her fork into Olivia's arm.

"Ow, fuck!"

"Knock it off, Olivia!"

But no, she keeps at in what she thinks are subtle ways, and Amy's dinners become a refuge.

"Amy, I need your help. Please. If you don't, I'll never eat over here again." Jane stands just outside of Amy's back door, where she can see her sister at the counter, the steaming pots on the stove, and the brownies cooling on the table.

Amy glances at Jane, laughing much like an amused mother who thinks her kid is doing something cute.

"Dude, I'm serious."

"Just get in here. What are you overreacting about now?"

"It's Olivia!" Jane cuts off her own words as she downs a glass of iced tea.

"Did you run over here?"

"Amy, that's not what's important right now!"

Amy tries to bite back a smile, but it erupts into laughter. Jane glares at her as she pours another glass before sitting at the table. "Seriously, you gotta talk to her. She won't chill about me and Davey. She acts like the only thing we do is screw each other's brains out, and she needs to intervene every second we're left alone."

"Ok, ok. I'll tell her to back off. What?" Amy asks when Jane just keeps looking at her. "Now? You want me to call her now." Jane's expression answers her and she keeps her eyes glued to her oldest sister while she calls their insane sister.

"Hey-" Amy is quiet as soon as Olivia answers, but her expressions say everything. "Dude, no…cuz you never give them back!…When?…That's YOUR shirt, Olivia!" Amy turns to Jane in disbelief, but all she gets is a glare. "Ollie, whatever, borrow my shirt. Just shut up and listen to me. You need to ease off Jane. And you know what I'm talking about." Amy listens for a moment, her expression relaxing. "I know. But she's fine; they're fine. She's not Sarah, you know. She'll come to us - I do, too. But you don't see me putting tracking devices in their phones. Just calm down." Amy suddenly has that look on her face when one of her sisters is upset. "Ollie. It's okay…" Amy sighs. "I love you, too. Bye."

"Well, that sounded successful."

"Give her some time, you brat."

Jane doesn't have to wait long because Olivia shows up when they're almost done eating.

"Hey," she greets them, before turning to Amy and asking, "Shirt?"

"Second drawer."

Olivia reappears seconds later, standing beside Jane. She takes a bit off her plate. "Sorry if I've been crowding you, Janey. You understand why, though, right?"

"Yeah-"

"Okay, then." Olivia lets it go at that, and Jane knows she'll back off now.