11 Places to Go In NYC Other Than Times Square And Central Park

This list will get you away from that mangy Elmo in Times Square

208

To most people, New York City is merely Times Square and Central Park. I was one of those people until my cousin moved to the city and became my NYC tour guide! There is so much more to New York City than what you see on TV or in the tour books. Times Square and Central Park are nice places to see, but you haven't seen New York until you get out of them. Here are 11 things you can do and see in NYC other than Times Square and Central Park.

1. Financial District

The Financial District (FiDi) is one of the prettiest and calmest places in the city. There are way less tourists in this area since it requires either a four mile walk or a subway ride. This area is completely different from Times Square. You won't be bumping into people on the sidewalks or be followed by a mangy Elmo here. FiDi is home to the New York Stock Exchange, Federal Hall (the United State's first capitol building and where George Washington was inaugurated), the Oculus, and One World Trade Center.

2. Brooklyn Bridge Park

Brooklyn Bridge Park is a small area on the banks of the East River that offers spectacular views of Lower Manhattan! You will have to take the subway, ferry, or walk over from Manhattan by ways of the Brooklyn Bridge, but it is well worth it! This is where you will get all of your "instagramable" pictures of part of the New York skyline.

3. Fort Tryon and the Cloisters

Fort Tyron and the Cloisters are located in Northern Manhattan and offer beautiful architecture. The Cloisters is a branch of the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art) which offers medieval art, gardens, and architecture. This museum is located in Fort Tyron, a large public park.

4. Chelsea Market and High Line

Chelsea Market is located in the Meatpacking District near the Hudson River. The Market is located in an old brick building that is a block wide and a block long. There is a huge variety of foods and vendors in this market. Near Chelsea Market is the High Line, sections of out-of-use railroad trestles turned into a beautiful, safe way to walk the city.

5. Restaurant Row in Harlem

Restaurant Row offers some of the best food in the entire city!

6. Prospect Park

Prospect Park is over 500 acres of nature in the middle of Brooklyn. There is plenty of space for picnics, runs, and horseback riding! Kensington Stables (Brooklyn) offers trail rides through Prospect Park for everyone! (No riding experience required)! The views of Prospect Park are even better on horseback!

7. Bryant Park

Bryant Park is a place you can visit anytime of the year! During the spring and summer, the park is a lovely little place to hangout with friends. There are small concerts, movie screenings, and other events that take place here. During the fall and winter, Bryant Park transforms into "Winter Village". Throughout the holiday season the public can enjoy a free admission ice skating rink and shopping at the many boutiques encasing the rink.

8. Roosevelt Island

For this destination, half the fun is getting there! Roosevelt Island is accessible by the Roosevelt Island Tram. Riding the tram over the East River offers more "instagramable" photo opportunities. Roosevelt Island is full of history, as it used to be home to insane asylums and prisons! This island is also where Kanye West debuted Season Four of his "Yeezy line". (If you're into that.)

9. South Street Seaport

South Street Seaport is located at the southern tip of Manhattan along the East River. This area offers piers, food, and plenty of space to hang out alongside the river. Throughout the year there are concerts and other public activities to participate in.

10. Governors Island

Governors Island is a 172 acre island in the middle of New York Harbor, only 800 yards away from Manhattan. This area offers a public park (May-September), recreational activities, and free arts and cultural events.

11. Staten Island

Staten Island is serviced by the Staten Island Ferry, a free ferry that runs from Manhattan to Staten Island every half hour. While on the ferry, you can get a close up look at the Statue of Liberty and take plenty of pictures of the Lower Manhattan skyline. When in Staten Island, make sure you visit the New York Chinese Scholar's Garden, a part of the Staten Island Botanical Garden.