11 Struggles You Share With The Every Other Youngest Sibling Out There

The good, the bad, and the ugly.

229
Lauren Nelson

For all of the youngest siblings out there, this one's for you! There are so many great things about being the youngest, but it also comes with pitfalls. I am the youngest of 3 girls, but I think even those of you who are the youngest of diverse groups of siblings can relate to these 11 things:

1. Sharing clothes.

This is probably the biggest perk of them all. Going out on a date? Staying the night? Just going to school? Their closet is your closet.

2. The oldest makes the rules.

A huge shout out goes to my oldest sister for making all of the rules in my house. NOT.

3. The middle child breaks the rules.

An even bigger shout out to my middle sister for breaking all the rules. You taught Mom and Dad that breaking the rules isn't all that bad. After you got punished, of course.

4. The youngest child gets away with everything.

I'm not saying I never got in trouble... I definitely did. But the middle child always seems to get in just a little more trouble than the youngest.

5. When the oldest move out, the youngest is spoiled.

Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but it's true. I was definitely more spoiled than my siblings. They will never let me forget it either.

6. You're close with your parents.

When all of your siblings move out, it's easy to naturally become closer to your parents. I have always been really close to my parents, and I think it's because I lived alone with them much longer than my siblings.

7. You get to use your siblings mistakes as lessons.

My sisters tried a lot of new things and experiences, which helped filter them out for me. I was able to try a brand new variety of things because of their trial and error.

8. It's harder for your parents to let go.

Honestly, I don't know who cried more when I went to college. I think it was me. My parents mean the world to me, but when they became empty nesters after 25 years, things were a little tough.

9. You will always be "baby *insert last name*" to your teachers.

I was always known as "baby Nelson" or "little Nelson" by my teachers. Luckily my sisters left a good impression on our teachers. If your sibling left a bad impression, SORRY!

10. You look back on memories, but sometimes you're not included.

My sisters talk about childhood memories that I want so badly to remember. Unfortunately, being the youngest means not always being a part of things. It took me until I was a lot older to become friends with my sisters. Now, most of our memories are made together.

11. You learn to love and laugh harder because of your siblings.

My sisters were my teachers, my parents, my friends, and my siblings all in one. They supported me, yelled at me, laughed with me, and cried with me. Because of them I am stronger, happier, prouder, and more confident.

I am so lucky to be the youngest sibling; you are too! Embrace the bad, and cherish the good.