The 11 Worst Things About Air Travel

The 11 Worst Things About Air Travel

At best, flying is an okay experience, but it's never fun.

896
The 11 Worst Things About Air Travel
BBC

Air travel has certainly made life for humans a lot easier. You can pack your bags and book a flight halfway around the world and be there in a few days. It has made the world seem a little smaller, if only slightly. However, I can't help but dread going to the airport. Even on trips that have gone relatively well, flying isn't exactly a comfortable experience when you are stuck in coach. And let's face it: most of us are. Short flights aren't so bad, but once you get to the six hour and beyond territory, it seriously stinks. I recently flew from Detroit, Michigan to Perth, Australia, and it was the worst flight experience ever. Nothing in particular went wrong, but it was just so long. Detroit to Los Angeles was 4 hours, Los Angeles to Brisbane, Australia was 13 hours, and Brisbane to Perth was around 6 hours. That's a whopping 23 hours of flying, and that doesn't include the layovers. Suffice to say, I'm glad I won't be flying for a while. Now that the jet lag has finally worn off, here are the absolute worst things about air travel.

1. Flying is stressful

There's just no way around it. This is especially true when you're flying alone for the first time. Missing a flight means you'll probably fork over even more cash than you already did for your ticket.

2. TSA

There's nothing quite like getting a pat down from a complete stranger. Granted, I know that TSA agents are just trying to protect us, but that doesn't make it any less uncomfortable.

3. Everything is expensive

If I am paying $5.00 for a bottle of water, then it better be the most luxurious water that has ever touched these lips. It better be melted snow from the highest point of Mount Everest, filtered fifty times, and infused with açaí berry.

4. Layovers take forever

Sure, you can walk around and look at all the shops, but once you reach a layover, you mostly just want to get the rest of the trip over with.

5. The seats are tiny

Of course airlines are looking to make money, and one way to increase profits is to sell more seats. How do they get more seats? By making them smaller. It's almost impossible to sleep in them now; I don't even want to imagine what the seat will look like in a couple of years.

6. You can't change your outfit

I mean, you can, but changing in the airplane bathroom or even a bathroom in an airport is less than optimal. Even the most comfy pair of sweatpants grow stale after a day of non-stop travel.

7. The food is gross

Yes, it has gotten better, but I still bring my own snacks with me just in case. Sometimes you get something kind of tasty, and other times you get a soggy asparagus omelet.

8. You have to sleep with a seatbelt on

Yeah, yeah, it's for my safety, but still. Sleeping on planes is already close to impossible.

9. You lose all sense of time

The worst part about long flights is that you lose all sense of time. You're moving through time zones, and once the flight attendants ask you to close the windows, you're at the mercy of cabin lights.

10. You'll probably get delayed

Nothing throws a wrench into your travel plans quite like a delayed flight. Of course the delay is bearable if you're in the terminal, but delays when you've already boarded the plane are insufferable. I don't want to be in this giant, flying sardine can any longer than I have to be.

11. Jetlag

Arguably the worst part about air travel. The human body is a wondrous thing, but it cannot move through several time zones without a bit of trouble. You're internal clock is basically destroyed, and there is only so much you can do to cushion the blow.