​11 Ways to Make Your Day Warmer This Winter

And I live in California

9
Ellen Horowitz

Here are some warm tips from a cold Californian!

1. Wear/find big sweaters

As the weather becomes colder and drier across the country, staying warm will be paramount for surviving the cold. I have collected a number of sweaters for the past few years, mostly from Goodwill. The Men’s section, especially during Summer when people are trying to get rid of unwanted Winter clothes, has a lot of very nice and quality sweaters for five dollars.

2. Buy holiday candles

There is something about candles that brings out the holiday cheer. The soft yellow light, the delicious and inviting smells, plus the basicness is beautiful. In addition, it makes you seem more mature.

3. Learn how to bake cookies

If you don’t know, you should. Cookies are my favorite form of love to show to people because it showed that you took time out of your day to make them something special for them. Plus it is something that they can enjoy on a sensual level (unless they don’t turn out right). I love making German Spritz cookies because you can press them into any holiday shape you want. They are very common in Germanic and Scandinavian countries.

4. Get some holiday drinks

This is the time for some holiday cheer, and when products become available, I would say go out and buy them. I am very excited to try Starbuck’s new drink Snickerdoodle hot chocolate, and the Creme Brulee Latte is delicious. Also, this is just an excuse to melt in candy canes around the house.

5. Buy Christmas lights for your living pace

I know another light idea. But I truly believe in filling your spaces with more light than normal. Many people suffer during winter time because it becomes so dark, some people even developing a subset of depression from it. Plus, your room will look like an Urban Outfitter dream space, and that is honestly what everyone wants.

6. Buy/find a warm blanket

There is nothing in this world quite as wholesome as a warm blanket to drink hot chocolate under. Whether you dig up the quilt grandma made you get a new fuzzy blanket from Target, make sure you have something nice to warm up in. You will thank me for coming back from your late night finals.

7. Listen to Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas is You”

You just have to do it once. I suggest signing along. Just do it.

8. Plan your New Years

New Years is going to come hard and fast after your preferred religious holiday time, and it is the only non-religious and non-nationalist holiday that we all will be able to celebrate together as the world. I love being able to spend it with friends and family, so you can either plan a party or wait for an invitation. Don’t forget to dress in your sparkles!

9. Change your screens on your technology

This isn’t a physical warmth change, but this is certainly a way to make your mental state a bit warmer. The year is ending, and you have probably changed a lot this year. A lot of times, people forget what their back screen is, but subconsciously it is affecting you. You should change your screens onto new pictures with new interests or new people in your life.

10. Wear your fuzzy socks

My toes become unbearably cold anytime it becomes below 70 degrees, so it is time to warm those puppies up. Luckily, if you match them with boots, they can be very comfortable and fashionable. And socks and sandals if you suffer from finals.

11. Get some holiday glam

Some people apply more glitter to their faces, to their outfits, and others to their hands. I love being able to do all of the above this seasons, and Pinterest is go-to for ideas to try out. Just make sure to include a bit of magic too.

I would like to end this article with a larger note. Some people call winter “cuffing season,” where you try to get a romantic or sexual partner to get warm with during the colder days. There is nothing wrong with the idea of cuffing season, in fact, it is sort of adorable if it is done sincerely. However, I wrote this piece inspired from the mindset that some people, myself included, do not desire to be with someone this holiday season, but still suffer from the cold. I hope that some of you can be warmed instead by the tips I shared here.