11 Ways That College Is Just Like "RuPaul's Drag Race"

"If you don't love yourself, how the HELL you gonna love somebody else?"

174
Entertainment Weekly

RuPaul, the ultimate queen of drag culture, has established quite an impressive empire. Drag queens from all over the globe would kill to merely be in his presence, let alone be cast on a season of "RuPaul's Drag Race." The winner, aka America's next drag superstar, may get a sickening amount of money, make-up, and other prizes, but the true victory comes from the newfound fame and publicity. Essentially, RPDR is America's Next Top Model's gay, fashionista, comedian brother who does a lot of tongue pops.

However, you're probably saying "what do these men dressed as women have to do with me?" The answer: more than you'd think. Between the costuming, make-up, and huge wigs is a whole lot of drama, excitement, and definitely competition. So, basically, just like college life, right? Grab yourself a cocktail while you untuck backstage, and contemplate the ways that college is just like RuPaul's Drag Race:

1. It's always a competition.

Whether you're fighting over grades or even boyfriends, college is always competitive somehow. Just like on RPDR, things can get really cut throat, so you better watch your back before some bitch stabs it (with a stiletto, maybe.)

2. Sometimes, you just can't deal with all of the B.S.

Balancing school, work, extracurriculars, and a social life is a lot of work. Now imagine doing that in 4-inch heels with a bunch of shady, cut-throat bitches (oh wait, we already do that too.) We feel your pain, queens.

3. There's a lot of pressure to succeed.

Sometimes you walk into a test and your professor just gives you that stern "don't fuck it up" look. I would imagine that that's how it feels during runway critiques, too.

4. Some people take their "image" super seriously.

The average college Saturday night consists of a lot of bodycon dresses, push-up bras, and serious contouring (all in the name of Insta pics, obviously). But this is just a day in the life of the queens, and it's no joke.

5. While other people aren't afraid to make a fool of themselves (and others.)

Being able to laugh at yourself (and others) is a serious survival tool in college. However, on RPDR, being a campy, confident queen could definitely win you the crown, so be sure to cause some laughs.

6. It seems like everyone is just horny af 24/7.

The biggest Sunday news is who hooked up with who last night, and that's no different in the drag world. So grab a drink with your gal pals and spill some major tea.

7. People form very distinct *~squads~*

On campus, it's fairly easy to identify certain "squads," just like it is on RPDR. When a group of bitches gets together, you better watch out, because that bond is stronger than their tuck tape.

8. A strong drink can fix just about anything.

Work sucks? School sucks? Your new, size 13 stilettos aren't broken in and your five-o-clock shadow is starting to grow? Grab that martini and get ready to LIP SYNC FOR YOUR LIFE.

9. There will be some serious shade thrown.

From subtweets to passive-aggressive Snapchats, college is all about talking shit and trying to get away with it. You better be sly, though, and you better be ready to get some shade back, because the library is open.

10. And sometimes, it's all just a little too exhausting.

All of the drama can eventually be too much to handle, so we deserve a little nap sometimes, whether it's in your lofted bed, or in the work room (or anywhere, COME ON NARCOLEPSY.)

11. But in the end, the experience is totally worth it.

Through all the tea, the shade, and the pink lemonade, RPDR is an incredible experience. College is the same exact way. Whether you win the race or simply manage to graduate unscathed, you'll learn valuable lessons, and make some great friends along the way. Plus, you probably picked up some sickening make-up advice. Win-win? I think YAS.