When you're in high school, you find yourself increasingly daydreaming about your approaching independence and new life in college. You know exactly how you're going to do everything, and exactly how you want everything to go. You find yourself with all these ideas of how your college experience is going to go, yet once you actually find yourself in college, you see all these ideas you had about college were actually complete misconceptions. It really makes the high school you laughable.
1. The idea that your roommates will be your best friends.
This may be the case for some people, but more often then not you hear horror stories rather than fun adventure stories.
2. The idea that you'd be partying at least every week.
You'd heard all the stories of frat parties and assumed you'd be going to them, and you have found yourself instead with no amount of time for that sort of thing.
3. The idea that you would meet your soulmate here instantly (and that it'll work out if you do).
Of course everyone has seen the movies and the shows where the two people see each other across the room and fall in love, but it seems to be more a myth once you find yourself in similar situations. Or you find someone you'd be OK with being your soulmate, but of course there's something in the way.
4. The idea that you'd have any social life at all, basically.
Listen, there is just TOO MUCH WORK for any other time for some sort of social life. You're lucky if you have time to watch some Netflix between assignments.
5. Your misguided idea that you understood college loans.
Before: Yeah I know what to do, I learned this all I know what I have to pay back!
After: Wait, what? What am I paying? How much is that? What number comes after 99?
6. The idea that you'd actually gain the freshman 15.
Honestly, you're lucky if you get time to eat at all really.
7. The idea that you'd be getting progressively smarter.
See, you THOUGHT college was about learning more and furthering your education, but somehow you find yourself more lost than you were before.
8. The idea that you'd have the motivation to look good, ever.
Most of the time you just roll out of bed and crawl to class. Maybe you'll brush your hair.
9. That you weren't the kind of person who needed naps.
YOU ARE ALWAYS TIRED.
10. The idea that you'd know what you wanted to do with your life once you got here.
Yeah I know my major and what I want to be! Oh wait... Oh that sounds bad... Oh I may have run into trouble...
11. The idea that you'd know where everything was within the first month.
Trust me, even if you have a small campus you still don't know where things are. I've been at school for almost a year and still can't find the bathrooms in one building.