What Type of Writer Are You?

In my advanced composition course, I was provided the opportunity to read Joe Glaser's "Understanding Style: Practical Ways to Improve Your Writing." This piece completely immerses the reader into a world of stylistic writing; however, one particular section of his novel struck a chord.

The world is filled with stereotypes or labels. What kind of coffee do you drink? What type of shoes do you wear? How about music? Or books? Or food? If you have taken part in an activity, you have been labeled.

The writing world overflows with its own set of labels. As Glaser explains, writers craft their pieces in vastly different ways, no matter how effective. I was inspired by Glaser to dig deeper into the different types of writers. Keep in mind that the original four are borrowed from "Understanding Style," and I added on to the list:

1. The Professional Terror

If I stuff my papers with jargon, they will continue to think that I am a well-educated and skilled professional...

2. The Creative Genius

Concrete details are the keys to success. They will be able to picture my world.

3. The Sleepwalker

I will not get personally invested in this piece; I hate this subject area anyway.

4. The Clunker

I have no rhythm, and this piece sounds ridiculous.

5. The Sloth

If I write a sentence a day, I will be finished in.....a few years.

6. The Napper

"The..." Awesome! *shuts laptop* Very productive. Soooo, I'm done for the day; time for a nap!

7. The Spark of Insanity

I will throw in the explosion after the unicorn's entrance.

8. The Thesaurus Fiend

My next short story is going to be amazing! I mean... It's going to be stupefying!

9. The Shortcut Master

The story can't end with that scene. I don't have the energy to go down that path.

10. The Caffeine-Dependent

Writes a word. *sips coffee* Writes another word. *sips coffee* I need a refill.

11. The Perfectionist

Editing after every written line isn't productive, but I can't resist.

When you have a moment, grab a copy of Joe Glaser's novel. This writer has learned so much about her writing style, and I know that other writers will grow as well. #WritersUnite