11 Tips For Healthier Sleep Habits

11 Tips For Healthier Sleep Habits

A word of advice from a college student who gets more than the average amount of sleep.
25

As college students, it's typical to sacrifice sleep for everything else that's going on in our lives. As much as we like to pretend that sleep is for the weak, we know deep down that at some point, it will all come crashing down. So, it's better to establish healthier sleep habits when we still can.

1. Avoid drinking caffeine at later times in the day.

It’s difficult to fall asleep early when you’re all hyped up.

2. Don’t procrastinate on your homework.

Easier said than done, but this is usually the main cause of going to bed late.

3. Establish a regular time frame for when you want to go to bed.

If you’re sleeping at drastically different times every day, it’s hard to set a healthy sleep pattern.

4. Don’t take long naps in the afternoon.

They can be tempting, but they make it all the more difficult to fall asleep at a reasonable time.

5. Do something relaxing before going to bed.

This helps you unwind before going to sleep.

6. Avoid sugary foods before bedtime.

7. Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime.

8. Don’t mix up your sleep schedule too much over the weekend or on vacation.

This messes with your body clock!

9. Try to avoid bright screens before going to bed.

Yes, this includes computers and cell phones.

10. Improve your sleep environment by keeping it quiet and turning off the lights.

You sleep better when it’s dark and quiet.

11. Stay calm.

It’s easy to stress about the fact you’re not getting sleep or worry about whatever you have to do tomorrow, but clear your head and close your eyes.

Remember that no matter how stressful school gets, you should never sacrifice something as important as sleep. It's okay every now and then when you have a lot of work, but don't make it a habit. It's tempting, but you should remember that taking care of yourself is the most important thing.