11 Tips For Your Best Road Trip Ever

11 Tips For Your Best Road Trip Ever

Here are some tips and tricks to have a road trip worthy of a coming of age film.

38
11 Tips For Your Best Road Trip Ever
Travel and Leisure

Road tripping is a classic staple in American culture. It's featured in countless coming of age movies and is on many people's bucket list. It tends to be cheaper than flying somewhere, and the journey to the destination is part of the adventure. A road trip can be a source of fun, adventure, and great memories to last a lifetime. It can also be a stressful disaster if you are not well prepared. Here are my tips on how to have an amazing road trip.

1. Create an itinerary.

Or, at the very least, create a list of things you may want to do. Having a plan will ensure when you arrive at your destination (or make pit stops along the way), you're not left wondering what to do. Instead of wasting your vacation time finding something to do, you can figure it out before you even leave.

2. Buy food before you go.

Trust me, buying food at the start of your trip will be a blessing once you get on the road. Not only will it save you money and time, but it will save you from getting sick of fast food. Just make sure you get a cooler for all your perishable items.

3. Choose good company.

The people you road trip with will either make the trip a joy or a drag. There are some people you just can't spend dozens of hours with in a car, and that's okay. Plan a road trip with people you're compatible with and will help make the trip even more enjoyable.

4. Create a playlist.

At some point on the trip, once the reality of the long drive ahead sets in, the conversation will lull and listening to music will take over. At this moment, you'll be grateful you made a bomb playlist with everyone's favorite songs to set the mood for the drive.

5. Book before you go.

Booking a place to stay for the night will give you a guaranteed destination and the comfort of knowing you'll get to rest your head on a pillow instead of a headrest. After driving for hours, the last thing you want to do is search for a hotel that still has availability.

6. Practice good hygiene.

While it can be too easy to let yourself go a bit while spending a day or more in the car, it is important to keep yourself fresh. Brushing your teeth and reapplying deodorant in a gas station bathroom doesn't sound appealing, but you and your company will be grateful.

7. Don't be afraid to be spontaneous.

If you're a planner like me, changing the plan last minute can be a major stress inducer. It can be frightening to change the plan or to not even have one, but that can be a thrill in itself. Taking random turns or stopping for lunch at a quirky restaurant you'd never heard of before are the moments that make road trips so special.

8. Know your role in the car.

Depending on where you are sitting in the car, you have a role to play. The most obvious of that being the driver. The driver focuses on driving and not much else. Their preferences come first, as their comfort is of utmost importance. The person sitting shotgun is in charge of music and keeping the driver alert and awake. Lastly, the backseat person(s) is the food distributor and should rest up for an upcoming shift in the driver's seat. Following this system will ensure everyone has a comfortable and safe journey.

9. Bring cash.

Cash is important to have when traveling across the country. Besides paying for road tolls, cash will come in handy in case your debit/credit card stops working as you go from state to state. Talk to your bank before leaving to keep your card functioning, but still bring cash just in case.

10. Pack light.

When you're traveling via car, you don't have a lot of room. To save space, pack lightly. See if the place you're staying has a washer and dryer so you can wash your clothes halfway through the trip. You may be tempted to bring extra of everything just in case, but having to wear a shirt a second day to save space wouldn't be the worst situation.

11. Have fun.

With all the stress that come with preparing and planning a road trip, it can be easy to lose sight of why you're going on the road trip in the first place. Remember, this is all for fun, so don't forget to enjoy yourself.

There are countless other tips and wise words to share, but a lot of things you can only learn by experience. So grab some friends, make a plan, and get going on an incredible adventure.