11 Thoughts You Have When Applying For GHP

If you live in the state of GA and are a high school student, chances are you know what GHP is. If you've had the privilege of applying for it, then you understand the emotional potpourri that you go through, from anxiety to fear to elation or heartbreak. Regardless of whether or not you make it, here are some of the thoughts that you inevitably had, or will have, especially if you're a communicative arts nominee.

1. "I'm so excited to start!"

You just want to dive in, start writing essays, and prove yourself!

2. "What have I gotten myself into?"

Upon seeing the seemingly countless number of prompts, you'll soon realize that maybe your free time could use a second glance before you fully commit.

3. "This was such a good idea!"

The completion of your first essay feels like a huge victory. Live in that moment for a while, because soon you'll have to pick up the pen again and get back to writing.

4. "Oh no...I've messed up irredeemably."

This moment usually happens immediately after you hit the submit button. You'll find a huge typo, realize you didn't really address the prompt,

5. "Do I have something in my teeth?"

The interviews are enough to make anyone nervous, but the nerves really reach a peak when you first sit down. You instantly become insanely self-conscious and paranoid. Check the mirror before you head in!

6. "Were the interviewers laughing politely or did they really like me?"

You never really can tell, can you? Fake laughter is better than a joke falling flat, but it still proves difficult to discern whether or not you're actually making an impression.

7. "Did I talk too long? Did I talk too little?"

As soon as you leave your interview room, you feel a sense of dread and immediately check the time. What time had you gone in? Did you blab too much or did you have to be coaxed into talking?

8. "How do I answer this creatively?"

You always want to stand out from the other applicants, but sometimes the prompts leave little room for creativity. Try and be as innovative as you can!

9. "What are my chances? Do I even have a shot?"

Remind yourself that you were nominated for a reason! You're a promising candidate and you definitely have as good a shot as any!

10. "And now, the waiting begins."

Ultimately, if you get to state interviews, you'll have to wait about a month before you hear your results. That's enough to drive anyone loopy from fear!

11. "I'm so glad I did this."

Regardless of whether you make it in or not, you'll be grateful for the experience, I guarantee it.