11 Things Your RA Wants You To Know

11 Things Your RA Wants You To Know

We aren't out to get you, but want to get to know you.

9
11 Things Your RA Wants You To Know
Maria Morford

1. We aren't out to get you.

Contrary to popular belief, RA's are not out to get you or want to get you into trouble.

2. We want to get to know you.

Having a relationship and friendship with our residents is important to us. We love to just hang out and become friends with our residents. Nothing is more fun, than when an RA has a ton of residents over to watch a movie completely unplanned. We are interested in getting to know you and want to be your friend.

3. We want you to come to our programs.

We put a lot of hard work and planning into our programs, and the university pays for each program so please attend them! We want to have programs that you want to enjoy so tell your RA what you would like to do for a program. With a limited budget we do the best we can to come up with new and fun ideas to do. Programs are a lot more fun with a lot of people attending.

4. Appreciate your door decorations and bulletin boards.

Again, we put in a lot of time and energy making door decorations for each resident each semester. It stinks when we see residents on move in day automatically throw them in the trash. At least keep them up on your door or say thank you to your RA for making them. Also, acknowledge and appreciate the bulletin board. We are always coming up with new and cool ideas so take a look at it before heading out of the building.

5. Acknowledge that we are students, too, with busy schedules.

Surprisingly, RA's are students too and we are not always present in our dorm room. If we don't text or call back immediately, don't get mad we could be in class or in a meeting. If we forget something, its okay to remind us politely. Things can slip our mind easily if you tell us something to fix at a busy time.

6. Never hesitate to ask for help.

You have probably heard an RA to come to them for anything you need and we actually mean it. We can help you with whatever it is you need. If you need help finding classes, venting about a boyfriend/girlfriend, or just want someone to talk to or attend an event with, we will gladly help you with whatever you need. So many of us became RA's because we want to help people. If you need help we cannot provide, we can guide you to the resources where they can help you. Use your RA as a resource for any help you need!

7. All we ask for is respect.

Behind the scenes RA's do a lot for you, and all we ask in return is respect. We get a lot of rude comments and mean comments and we are usually just trying to do our job. Using the golden rule, treat people as you wish to be treated in return.

8. We don't want to write you up.

We really don't want to write you up if we don't have to. It requires a lot of paper work and time on our end. Again, we are not out to get you we just have to do our job and follow campus rules. We don't make the rules we just enforce them.

9. We want you to get involved on campus and enjoy college.

Getting involved on campus is so important. Every RA I know would recommend getting involved to their residents. Ask your RA what your campus has to offer, I am sure they would be more than happy to tell you what you could join or get involved in.

10. Read the flyers we put on your door.

The flyers we put on your door are there for a reason and have important information on them. Read them and don't just throw them away or leave them on your door for 3 months.

11. We love our residents and take pride in you.

We like to get to know you and brag on you to other RA's. We become parents by being proud of your accomplishments from the beginning to the end of the year. We enjoy our time with you and appreciate each and every one of you.