11 Things You Know If You're A Student Worker

"Office of __________, this is ______, how can I help you?"

91
Students Review

Whenever I imagined my first job, I always pictured an office. I'll be honest, I'm not one that takes pleasure in handling food or clothes or taking care of kids even. I've done it, but I hated it. I like the idea of sitting in a cushy desk chair while answering phones and getting my homework done. Seriously, whoever invented the work-study program was a genius. A few weeks before I graduated high school, I met my (future) boss. It's been a year now since I started in our financial aid office and despite some challenging situations, it's been the best year of my life. Can I get an amen from the student workers?

Now, if you're like me and work at your university, I think I've got some things that we can all agree on that come with the job.

1. Students like to test your patience

I learned this day one on the job, especially working in financial aid. From storming into your office and accusing you of lying, to not telling you to have a good day when you've taken the effort to tell them. Somehow, students just have a way of getting under your skin. Like okay, I get you need something done before a deadline or something has been messed up with your specific situation. However, please remember that we have students coming in all day because they need things done so keep that in mind.

2. We are not experts

If I knew all the in and outs of financial aid, I would be a counselor...not a student worker. Sure, I can totally answer general questions. Need to fill out a FAFSA? I can tell you the website. Need to know who your counselor would be? I got you. Need help finding something in our system? Easy. Anymore than that...you'd have to speak to someone higher up. I had a guy tell me the other day, "You work here, you should know all about this stuff." I'm sorry to break this to you but if you're put on hold by a student worker for like 10 minutes or told "hang on, let me ask someone", that is because we have no clue how to answer your question and we are either finding someone to help you or asking the questions ourselves. We're learning right along with you.

3. You constantly have friends/family asking you questions

All the time. It's either, "When is something due," or, "What all do I have left to do?" Most of the time I'm happy to rack my brain for any information I have stored up there, but I often end up referring them to someone.

4. You actually have time to do homework

Unlike most jobs, we have a lot of down time. They call it work-study for a reason; once all your work is done (when there is actually something to be done), you can sit there and work on your homework until you're blue in the face. I can not tell you have many essays and projects I have gotten done while sitting at my desk. It like gives me motivation to be productive or something.

5) Working during the summer? Netflix time!

Summer can be SO boring in an office. You barely have students, paperwork, or phone calls so what better to do than watch your favorite shows! If you see one of us on our computers attempting to look productive, we're most likely zoned in on the newest Grey's episode.

6. Student workers have the most flexible schedules

Have an hour break in-between classes? Come clock in. Only have two days open to work? Just the person we were looking for to fill in the gaps. Have a function at 6? That's perfect because we close at 5. I love that my work schedule is molded around my class schedule. It gives me the opportunity to get as many hours as possible while still having my weekends and evenings off.

7. You give directions like a pro

When I first started college, I was so intimidated by our campus. I had no clue where anything was or what any street was called. Now, I can tell you how to get anywhere. We have a ton of people come in asking where certain halls are or where they can get certain things. I do tend to use many landmarks and hand motions but people always seem to find their way.

8. You've gotten over you fear of phone calls

I was terrified to talk on the phone when I first started working. I'm one of those introverted extroverts. I am so scared to be the first one to initiate conversations, but once I get to talking we are best friends. My issue wasn't people calling in to ask questions, it was when my boss made me call people that gave me anxiety attacks. I remember this one time, I had a list on about 30 people to call and I freaked. Y'all, I started hyperventilating and everything. Eventually I got over this fear, but it did take forever and a day to do.

9. You learn to appreciate what we do

Before I worked on campus, I too was one of those students that got so impatient with everyone. If they didn't see me within the first five minutes of me checking in then I was mad. I would also get annoyed when they didn't remember me by name. I already know what you're thinking, "Gosh you're a brat." I was, there's no need to tell me. Whenever I got into one of the offices, I started to see just how much these counselors do. It doesn't matter if you go to housing, financial aid, admissions, or to your academic adviser, each office will see at least 40 people per day plus phone calls and mountains of paperwork. If you come enough, we will normally remember your name or face. But don't be mad when we ask you to remind us of your situation because we see hundreds of students every week with similar problems.

10. You love your campus

It's like being a student worker gives you major school pride. You are a tiny part in helping the university run properly so why not take pride in that? #Lionup

11. Your office is your second home

I honestly feel like I spend more time at work than I do at home, but that's okay. Since the day I started, my co-workers have taken me in with open arms and I've never been happier. It's like having a whole other group of people that wants to see you succeed in life and are there for you in your low times. We may have disagreements and not like each other sometimes, but at the end of the day we love one another and that's all that matters.

If you have the opportunity to get an on-campus job, take it. There are so many wonderful experiences you will gain...and I'm not just meaning the great networking.

Sending love to all my fellow student workers, you guys rock!