11 Things You Know to Be True If Grew Up in A Small Town

If you come from a small town, you know all this is to true.

32
THE HUFFINGTON POST

1. You know everyone and everyone knows you.

You know everyone because they went to the same school with you, they were your neighbors, or you have seen the people around. You know their name and probably all of their relatives that live in your town. Sometimes you may not know them, but they’ll walk right up to you and know everything about you.

2. On Friday Nights everyone is at the football game.

Everyone knows Friday nights are for high school football. That means everyone is at the game, whether its home or away. You can’t forget about the tailgating before the big rivalry game. Finally, when the football team brings home the win you know it’s going to be a good weekend.

3. You know everyone you graduated with.

Chances are your class size was really small. You probably graduated with about 30 to 80 other people. Since your class size was so small you knew everyone’s names, their siblings, and the activities they were involved in.

4. You’ve played with your teammates on your varsity teams since you were little.

The teammates you played with on your varsity football, basketball, softball, or another sports team you most likely played with them when you were in second grade. You and your teammates have such good chemistry because you have played together for so long.

5. No one has ever heard of your town.

When you go to another town a few hours away or out of state and a person asks where you are from you tell them. The thing is they have never heard of your town at all. Therefore, you’re left telling them the biggest city or university that is closest to your town.

6. You run out of places to hangout and things to do.

Your friends and you have most likely hung out at every possible spot so you’re stuck going somewhere you already have been or hanging at someone’s house. Don’t forget you will probably end up sitting on a couch because you have also done everything there is to do as well.

7. Saturday nights were meant for campfires and friends.

Everyone looks forward to the weekend, because that means football, bonfires, and friends. There’s usually a fire at one of your friends’ houses every weekend in the fall, summer, and spring. It’s nice to just sit down and relax with friends and listen to music.

8. Family isn’t just the people who you live with.

You have grown up with your neighbors and best friends your whole life. They have your back and will help you out wherever you need it. This makes them your family.

9. You can’t get away with anything without someone finding out about it.

You might think you can get away with egging someone’s car or pulling a prank on someone, but you’ll always get caught. You might think you got away with it, and then a week later you’re getting confronted about what you did, because someone found out it was you.

10. You always see someone you know whether you go to the grocery store, town restaurant, or bank.

Taking a trip to the bank or grocery store means you’re going to see someone you know. Odds are you’ll end up being in the bank or store way longer than you planned because they’ll want to talk to you.

11. You complain about your town, but you secretly don’t mind it.

You probably have complained about your small town to someone. You probably said things like, “I can’t wait to move away,” or, “This place is so boring. "We all know that you no matter how much you say you hate it, you love it anyway and no matter how far you go, your town will always welcome you home.