11 Things My First Year At College Taught Me

My friendships started with picking up trash on the Blue Ridge Parkway and going to dinner at 6 p.m. every night.

9

Moving to college was definitely the scariest thing I have done in my entire life. I didn't know what to expect or who I would meet. What if I didn't fit in? What if I didn't make any friends? What if I can't do it?"

I've learned a lot in this past school year; a lot of the school, my friends and myself. I have a lot of friends getting ready to start their first semester of college this coming fall so I thought I would put together a list of everything I have learned to hopefully help them out.

1. Do not take your last couple of months at home for granted.

Trust me, I get it. You are ready to be on your own doing things your way. You think that you are ready to be an adult and take care of yourself. But please spend as much time with your friends as you possibly can but don't forget about your family. They are gonna miss you too and believe it or not, that first week after moving in, it'll be them you are wishing to see or hug.

2. You will lose touch with some "hometown" friends but that's OK.

Chances are unless you go to college with your entire friend group from high school, you won't talk to half of them by the time summer comes. Most of the times no one has done anything wrong, you just naturally lose touch. You are making new friends at school and so are they. It is not as sad as it seems, just know that it will happen and don't get discouraged by it.

3. Your family will quickly become your best friends.

Like I said before, your family will be the people you want to see the most. I know it sounds crazy to say that but trust me, it happens. My family and I were close but I wouldn't have considered them my best friends when I moved to school. But I quickly found myself calling my parents multiple times a week and even multiple times in a day. My brothers and I Snapchat each other funny things and send each other ridiculous text messages. You learn that, while people may come and go, your family is always there for you.

4. Stressing is overrated.

Yes, college is hard I'm not gonna lie to you. Yes, there will be days that you have emotional breakdowns because you don't know how you are going to get everything done on time. But here's the thing, you will. You will finish those 3 essays and study for those 2 exams on time. Stress will happen but don't let it consume you. Stressing yourself to the max over homework or studying will only make it harder to get the job done.

5. Go to the sporting events.

Seriously it is the best thing ever, even if you go to a school where school spirit isn't really a thing. Cheering on the different teams is a great way to bond with friends you don't get to see often and is also a better way to keep from writing those midterm papers that are due the next day.

6. Don't be scared to ask for help.

Whether it is help with school work or you just need advice on how to handle a situation, ask. In my experience, professors are super awesome at helping their students out but only when the student makes the effort to ask. No one in this world has the answers for everything, so being able to ask questions is a crucial thing to learn.

7. Relationships are not everything.

Don't go to college expecting to find a relationship right off the bat. If you find one that is super awesome but it's totally okay if you don't either. And if you don't it is not because of you, it's probably because everyone is still trying to adjust to their surroundings and classes.

8. Going home the first time is the best thing ever.

The best feeling in the world is the first time you get to wake up in your own bed and walk into the kitchen and are instantly surrounded by your family. Meeting up with your friends is amazing too, especially when they are as excited to see you, as you are to see them.

9. Homesickness never really goes away.

While it gets easier, for me, homesickness is always a thing. Now it only comes after spending a long time at home (ex. Winter and Spring Break were the worst). But you adjust just like you did before. All it takes for me is one good cry on the phone with my mom or dad and I'm good to go until the next time I go home. Lean on your friends at school when you start to get homesick and give your folks a call too!

10. You will find your "group."

My "group" started when I met my first friend in a transition program a week before school started. We bonded over picking up trash on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We instantly hit it off and once school started our group grew from 2 people to 6. While we don't always hang out with each other every day I know that I can count on them to be there for me when times get rough and vice versa. What I am trying to say is, you won't meet your best friend or group while doing some extravagant thing. You will find them bonding over a mutual hatred of a class or stressing over a paper or exam in the library. However it happens, you will find your family away from family and it is the best feeling ever when you do.

11. College is what you make it.

College is a difficult, weird time, especially freshman year. You are dropped off in a place that you know nothing about and may not know anyone. You are not sure what to expect when it comes to classes or professors. Your parents aren't there to ask you about your day every afternoon. But college is an amazing time to redefine and find yourself. It is a time where you can be an unapologetic version of yourself. You can leave all of the high school drama behind and live life the way you want to. The only way to do this though is to be present in the moment. Do your best to not make yourself upset by thinking about what you used to do and instead think of everything you can do now. Surround yourself with friends and plan to do things on the weekends. For me, my friendships started with dinner every night at 6 p.m. It is the little things that will make your college experience amazing! You're gonna crush it!