13 Things I Will Definitely NOT Miss When I No Longer Live On Campus

As convenient as living on campus may initially sound, here are the moments that I will be grateful to no longer deal with.

282
Kelsey Dietrich

Most universities require that first or second-year undergraduate students live on campus. This is a good transition for the students leaving home for the first time and living on their own. However, as convenient as living on campus may initially sound, there are definitely times when you wish that you weren't.

Here are 13 moments that I will definitely not miss when I finally move off-campus.

1. Random fire drills at the most inconvenient times

Just got into the shower? The fire alarm will go off. Just started doing your homework? The fire alarm will go off. Just took off your pants? The fire alarm will go off. Just started eating dinner? The fire alarm will go off.

2. Constantly being checked on by the RA

I understand that RA's have an obligation to make sure that all of their residents feel safe and comfortable, but receiving weekly floor emails and being forced to make small talk when your Resident Advisor knocks on your door after the first week back gets really annoying really fast.

3. The gross bathroom

I'm dreaming of the day when I can take a shower with good water pressure and actually feel clean afterwards.

4. The undeniable stench of weed in the hall

So, um, where is the RA because this is the third time this week that the kids two doors down were smelling up the place.

5. No parking

The moment when I can park my car and not have to walk 25 minutes to get back to my dorm will be beautiful.

6. Loud neighbors

I can hear everything that the people living above me, below me, to the left, and to the right are doing. Everything.

7. Making all my food in the microwave

I can't wait to get creative with basic cooking appliances that will no longer be prohibited when I move off-campus.

8. Living in a closet-like space

Dorm rooms have no place for activities.

9. Feeling obligated to participate in social activities held in the building

I definitely won't miss the emails and notes on my door to attend bonding activities in my building.

10. Dealing with inconsiderate college students

Trash, puke, and underwear lingering on the stairwell are not pretty sites to see, ever, but especially first thing in the morning.

11. Planning when to do laundry based on when the rest of the residents choose not to, rather than based on when my clothes actually need to be washed

The laundry room is like a jungle.

12. Having a roommate

Personal space, please.

13. Doing dishes in the bathroom sink

The bathroom is already gross, so it's the last place I want to be rinsing out my coffee mug.