11 Things I Want To Thank My Dad For

11 Things I Want To Thank My Dad For

Here's to my dad for doing something right when it came to parenting.

53
11 Things I Want To Thank My Dad For
Tim Mossholder

I've seen all these shares of listicles about thanking moms and I have a lot to thank my mom for but what about those men in our lives? What about thanking the dads? This really hit me just this past week in a certain situation. I live about 25 miles away from home at my college and with my hectic schedule, I'm not able to go home as much as I would like to. So this past Friday when my change oil soon light came on on my car I wasn't able to drive home and have my dad check it. So I parked my car, let it cool down and checked my oil. As I was walking out I thought to myself how funny this picture must be: I was a girl dressed in a nice dress, a black blazer and heels with my hair and makeup done for a scholarship competition I was involved in helping with and I was about to go out and check my oil. Sure enough, I wasn't the only one who saw this as a funny picture. About thirty seconds into checking my oil I heard a voice from behind me go "Awe sweetheart you havin' some car troubles? Yah need some help?" I turned around to see one of the small town country boys at my school smirking back at me. I said (as politely as I could, but I was a little peeved), "No just checking my oil". I thought that would be it and we would have gone on with our lives, but he obviously wasn't done yet and decided to put his foot in his mouth and say "Well do you even know what the hell you're doing?" That was it. I was pissed and snapped back, "Um excuse me but my dad believes in raising daughters who know how the hell to take care of ourselves so that we never have to rely on ignorant jerks like you. So no I don't need any help, thank you very much. Bye now." He walked away finally. I stopped and laughed at the entire situation. I realized that most people, in general, don't know what they're doing when it comes to cars, but thanks to my dad I knew some things here and there. That's when it hit me. There is truly so much I would not know without my dad. So here's to my dad and all the others out there who did something right when it came to parenting. Thank you for making us into who we are today, and here are some more things I think we all can take a second to thank our dads for.

1. For helping me search for and choose a college.

Dad, even on the days you had to work and couldn't go on tours you were still there every step of the way. You were in my mind encouraging me to think logically and still follow my heart. When I came back from college visits you were always there at the table ready to talk for hours about everything about each college, especially the safety aspects.

2. For keeping me safe.

Whether it was making sure I chose a safe college or just making sure I texted you when I made it somewhere or reminding me to drive safe every single time I got in my car, you are always making sure I am safe and sound and that was just you caring, even though the constant reminders to drive safe sometimes got on my nerves.

3. For teaching me things.

You taught me how to bait a hook, how to shoot a gun, how to throw a football and how to check my oil. On the other hand, though, you taught me even deeper lessons every day. You taught me that sometimes the words "I love you" can also be said in things like "wear a seatbelt" when I get in my car, "text me when you make it" whenever I drive back to college, and "he's not worth it" the first time my heart got broke. You taught me that love isn't always this big extravagant thing, sometimes it's the small things.

4. For showing me the importance of the small things.

You always were there to remind me that worth and riches isn't about what you have. I didn't need that expensive phone, those $60 jeans, or the nicest car and you reminded me of that by showing me that the more important things are who we are as people, the love we have and the friends and family who support us.

5. For always keeping my feet on the ground.

While mom has always been my wings keeping my heart in the clouds with big hopes and dreams, you always kept me logical and thinking about all sides of situations. Sometimes (you might even say MOST times) we butt heads when it came to some things but now that I am older I see that sometimes you were just trying to play devil's advocate to get me to see other sides and not just my own.

6. For helping me put my hair into curlers that one-time mom wasn't home.

That was an interesting night for the both of us but I went to show choir the next day with some fantastic hair! Thank you for any time you got out of your comfort zone to help me with something because you knew how much it meant to me or how much I needed it.

7. For all of our super deep talks.

You and I have had some very deep talks about things from life and death to love and loss. I learned a lot from you because you were always willing to open up to me and tell me about your life in hopes of me learning from your experiences. Sometimes that worked and sometimes it didn’t but I still appreciate every deep talk we have had.

8. For opening up to me.

You didn’t do it all the time but you did when it came to our deep talks and it always meant so much to me. I never felt like you talked to me like I was a child in those moments. I always appreciated that. There was always an understanding of respect between us, I was your daughter and you were my dad but those talks about life made me feel so respected and appreciated.

9. For never pushing me into being a girly girl or tomboy.

You let me go hunting and fishing with you. You taught me everything you could about my first car the many times we ended up working on it. However, you also encouraged me to dress up for things like prom. You always managed to help me pick out some of the nicest dresses in the store. You even helped me choose between billions of outfits for different events. You knew that we could balance and you encouraged all sides of me.

10. For showing me some of the best music.

Without you, in my life, I wouldn't know all the words to almost every AC DC song and almost every KISS album. Dad, you showed me music from your time and told me stories about every song and what it meant to you. Those stories pop into my mind every time I hear those songs, and that's probably because I have heard each story about five to seven times each. On top of showing me the music, I can't even count all the nights we spent playing guess that song with YouTube and a speaker. Those were some of the best nights.

11. For always being my dad.

In everything, you have always had my back. We sometimes butt heads but I can't imagine how different my life would be without you. Thank you for being my dad and loving me so much. You are the best dad I could ask for. Thanks for always being a phone call away no matter what I need. I have called you about everything from a light on my car to my mini fridge just not working to needing a concert buddy. Thank you for always being there to pick up the phone no matter what time it is.

I love you, dad.