11 Things To Be Grateful For This Holiday Season

Sometimes we need to remember the things we take for granted.

This last year has been filled with a lot of violence and hatred thrown towards each other. Somewhere along the way, people have forgotten that we are supposed to love each other and care for each other. So, I figured with the holiday season upon us we should take note of all that we have. There is so much we take for granted so I wanted to highlight 11 things that we should be thankful for this holiday season.

1. Health

Whether this be your health or the health of a loved one, we should be grateful for the good health we possess. There are many families that have to spend their holidays in hospitals because of sick children, spouses, or parents and don’t get to enjoy the happiness around them. After a health scare and hospital visit from my dad last week, I couldn’t be happier for him being okay and am very grateful for that.

2. Education

I know, I know, a lot of people don’t like school, but just imagine if you didn’t have the choice to get an education! I’m sure life would be a little bit harder if you didn’t get it. Just think there are kids out there that don’t have the option to get an education and instead have to work twice as hard to get ahead.

3. Culture/Religion

Now, I really don’t practice any religion, but imagine if you were stripped of that right? Many people in the world are and many in the past were. Be thankful you are someone where religion and culture can be practiced freely.

4. Family

This one is easy. I know family can be annoying sometimes, but at the end of the day you love them and they love you. Be thankful you have a family that loves and cares for you. There are some out there that are mourning their family. Be thankful that isn’t you.

5. Friends

I always say that friends are the family you make for yourself. I may only have a few but I am grateful for them every day and so should you. Not having friends would be a drab.

6. Pets

Unfortunately, I don’t have any pets but would be thankful for them if I had them. I mean, could you imagine if you couldn’t have your cat or dog? I know some people that would die if they lost their animal so be thankful you have yours.

7. Food

Honestly, who doesn’t love food? We all love it and need it. Now imagine having barely enough to satisfy your hunger for the week. That is a sad reality for some in the world so be thankful you have enough to fill you up each day.

8. Roof over your head

This one is kind of self-explanatory. There are a lot of people out there that don’t have a home. Be thankful you do, and it comes with power and water.

9. Clothes on your back

This is something we easily take for granted. We just expected to always be able to go out and buy new clothes if we need or want. What if you couldn’t? What if all you had was a single shirt and a single pair of pants? I don’t think you would enjoy that very much

10. Your Favorite TV shows/movies

Okay, so I ran out of serious things to be grateful and wanted to throw in a couple of little things. Be thankful for the fact that you can watch these. Be thankful they can exist. I don’t know y’all, but I think I would die without my weekly dose of "Supernatural" or my occasional Marvel movie marathon.

11. Music

The melodies of your soul. Could you imagine the world without music? It would be a very bleak world. Be thankful you can listen to whatever you want whenever you want (Reasonably speaking, of course).

There is obviously so much more you could and should be thankful this holiday season, but make sure you pay special attention to the biggies AKA the top half of this list.