11 Things Texans Miss When They Go To College

Leaving the Lone Star state can be tough considering all of the great things Texas has to offer.

93

Texans love Texas, and they have a good reason to! With endless delicious food options, timeless traditions and heritage, and a friendly atmosphere, there is a lot to miss when you leave! Homesickness can come in mammoth waves for native Texans, and these things are constantly dominating their minds when they are gone! For those who are willing to depart from Texas in order to go to school somewhere else, it can be a reluctant choice due to all the great things the Lone Star state encompasses. Don’t worry though, Texas will be waiting for your return and you can two-step your way back in to the best state in the nation.

1. Whataburger

Two in the morning and craving a burger? Every Texan knows exactly where to go. This staple in every Texan's diet is the go-to place after any sort of event, and every meal in between. You know you are from Texas when some of the best memories made with friends included a late-night run to this 24-hour restaurant.

2. Friday Night Lights

Nothing beats the roar of the fans in stadiums across the state come 7:00 p.m. Friday night. Nothing can really compare to high school football in Texas.

3. Southern Hospitality

There is just something really special about the friendly smiles and waves from fellow neighbors and friends all across the state. It's something you just can't find anywhere else.

4. Real Texas Barbecue

Sure, you can go to a place and get what they might call “Texas BBQ” but you know deep in your heart that it is nowhere near your standards of good, quality, Texas barbecue. The biggest tragedy is being invited to a “barbecue” and showing up and realizing they only have hot dogs and burgers. THAT IS NOT BBQ. That is simply grilling out.

5. Huge Outlet Malls

Everything in Texas really is bigger, including our shopping malls. Because weather here can be great year round, we have numerous humongous outdoor outlet malls sprinkled all over the state. You and your cowgirl can shop till you drop.

6. Incredible Tex Mex

Being close to the Border definitely has its perks when it comes to cuisine. Nothing beats going out to your favorite Tex-Mex joint and pigging out on endless amounts of queso and brisket tacos.

7. Weekend Concerts at Gexa Energy Pavilion and South Side Ballroom

Whether it is a classic country concert from your favorite country singer or a cool edgy concert at South Side Ballroom in Dallas, the music scene is pretty awesome in Texas. Not to mention, artists usually spend a couple dates in Texas because we have so many major cities, so you can be sure to catch your favorite artist when they are in town.

8. Long Highways and Fast Speed Limits

There's no denying Texas is huge, so our super complex highway system gives you so many different options to get somewhere so you can (crosses fingers) hopefully avoid Texas rush hour traffic. Along with the numerous highways connecting all parts of Texas, the high speed limits are a dream come true to all those who wish they were NASCAR drivers. Seeing 85 mph on a sign is like striking gold.

9. Sweet Tea

Who knew that the rest of the world doesn’t drink sweet tea with every meal… Or that they would serve only, dare I say it, UNSWEETENED TEA? The luxury of every restaurant and gas station having sweet tea is one that is dearly missed once you are outside of Texas.

10. Weekend Trips to Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Etc.

Texas is so large it could be its own country. With that being said, you can go on “weekend getaways” across the state while never having to actually leave the state. The Highways here are fast and you can get anywhere within a day, allowing you to easily experience all the different parts that Texas has to offer.

11. Two-Stepping to Country Music

It's Friday night and all you want to do is go two-stepping with friends and listen to country music, but sadly you realize there are no dance halls nearby and that none of your friends know how to two-step... Ah Texas, we miss you.