Things All ABCD Girls Know to Be True

Things All ABCD Girls Know to Be True

American-Born, Confused Desi and Proud

519
Things All ABCD Girls Know to Be True
colorlines.com

As an American Born Confused Desi, or ABCD for short, you exist at a unique cultural faultline, blending aspects of both Indian and American culture. It can be hard to know exactly where you fit in, but the good news is there's a lot of us.

1. When people ask you where you're from, and you respond with whatever state you grew up in, there's always the follow up, "But like, where are you really from?"

A great way to respond to this is, "where are you really from?" and watch them flounder.

2. You have been called "exotic" by a white boy at least once.

This is sometimes accompanied the always winning: "You're pretty for an Indian girl."

3. Your standards for romance have been set by Bollywood movies.

Try and tell me there's something more romantic than an item song in the desert with 72 costume changes and hundreds of backup dancers. Hm? I'm waiting.

4. You like your food like you like your men: the spicier the better.

Give me biryani over peanut butter and jelly any day.

5. People always assume you're good at math and science, even if that isn't necessarily your forte.

There are Desis talented at art, music, and language. Not all of us are destined to be doctors or engineers, and that's okay!

6. You don't feel Indian enough for your parents and family back home, and not American enough for your friends.

Your parents will tell you that you've become too Americanized but there are still major differences between you and your white peers.

7. You've fought the urge to roll your eyes in yoga class when Becky or Sarah explains what "Om" means.

If you see one more yoga instructor with a misspelled Hindi tattoo, you're going to go all aunty-ji on their ass.

8. You harbor at least one crush on an Indian actor (or actress).

Sorry Deepika, but me and Ranveer will eventually be together. It's only a matter of time.

9. One of your #lifegoals is learning how to drape a saree properly.

So much fabric. So many pleats. So little patience.

10. You probably use your native language to talk about other people in public without them knowing.

One of the greatest gifts of being able to speak another language (or even just understand it) is being able to publicly gossip about strangers.

11. You've got the best of both worlds.

You've combined the best of both cultures into a unique perspective that's all your own. You may be a little Americanized, but proud of your culture all the same.

Being an ABCD gal may come with its struggles, but you wouldn't have it any other way.