11 Pop Culture Teachers We All Deserve, But Will Never Have

We would learn a lot if we had a teacher like Sean Maguire.

188
Disney Wiki

Over the years, we have all had teachers; good and bad ones.

Some are more memorable than others for all the best reasons; they inspire us to do better, while there are others that we wish we could forget. Nonetheless, there is another category of teachers: the ones that we see in pop culture that we wish existed in real life.

Here are 11 teachers that I would enjoy having in a classroom for any number of reasons.

1. Mr. Keating (Robin Williams) – "Dead Poets Society"

It is not everyday that your teacher rips pages out of the book and gets the class to stand on his desk. Sometimes, especially when you are young, teachers will talk down to you, and it’s refreshing to see an on-screen educator who recognizes the value of young minds.

2. Professor Ben Bruckner (Robert Gant) – "Queer As Folk"

Professor Bruckner knows how to engage a classroom and it is impossible to deny that he is easy on the eyes. He also sees the best in people and encourages them to seek their passions. My favorite quote of his, when he convinces his future husband Michael to be a guest-lecturer despite Michael’s reservations, is: “No, [Michael talking about comics is] definitely more than knowing. When you talk about it, you have a passion.”

3. Professor Remus Lupin (David Thewlis) – "Harry Potter"

Professor Lupin knows the importance of confronting one’s fears sooner rather than later, and he does all that he can to ensure that his students get hands-on experience that later prepares them for when Lord Voldemort rises again.

4. Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita) – "The Karate Kid"

Mr. Miyagi teaches patience, perseverance and determination; all traits that are often ignored or undervalued in our society. Even when Daniel feels like quitting, he helps him see the importance of hard work and dedication.

5. Ezra Fitz (Ian Harding) – "Pretty Little Liars"

Ezra may not win points for dating a student, but he teaches with fervor and engages his students in the course material, even when they are busy being cyberstalked or cyberstalking.

6. Miss Frizzle (Lily Tomlin) – "The Magic School Bus"

I can safely say that none of my class field trips were nearly as exciting as the ones that Miss Frizzle takes with her class.

7. Professor McGonagall (Dame Maggie Smith) – "Harry Potter"

If I walked into class on the first day and my professor transfigured from a cat into her human form, I would be paying attention for the rest of the year (mostly because I would be on edge).

8. Professor James Moriarty (Andrew Scott) – "Sherlock"

OK, so maybe I would prefer not to be in Moriarty’s class (besides being a psychopath, it is also math), but if Andrew Scott was teaching the class ...

9. Vivian Banks (Janet Hubert) – "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"

Vivian is the type of teacher who will talk about the topics and issues that you think are necessary to discuss, and that is one of the aspects of a teacher that I enjoy the most. Sometimes sticking strictly to the book limits our growth and how far it can stretch.

10. Professor Ted Mosby (Josh Radnor) – "How I Met Your Mother"

Ted is another one who teaches with a passion and truly loves the subject that he devoted his life to studying. We need more teachers like T-Dog.

11. Sean Maguire (Robin Williams) – "Good Will Hunting"

So Sean may not technically be a teacher in the traditional sense, but he is a great mentor to Will and teaches him the importance of allowing yourself to be vulnerable in order to heal.