11 "Stardust" Quotes That'll Make You Feel All The Feelings

"What do stars do?"

10948
How to Watch a Movie

"Stardust" is quite possibly the most underrated movie ever. It has everything: epic romance, daring adventures, royal scandal, magical witches, and a cross-dressing pirate played by Robert De Niro. It's basically perfect, and what better way to show it than with some of the best quotes from the movie (accompanied by equally amazing GIFs).

1. Everlasting life? I imagine it would be kind of lonely. Well, maybe if you had someone to share it with. Someone you loved. Then it might be different.

Tristan was never tempted with eternal life because he knew it wouldn't really be living unless you were spending it with someone that you loved.

2. What do stars do? They shine.

It's the line repeated throughout the film, but Yvaine the fallen star finally gets to answer the question at the film's climax. When making their final stand again the witch determined to take Yvaine's powers, she literally uses the power of love to shine bright enough to kill the witch.

3. If there's one thing I've learned about in all my years watching Earth, is that people aren't what they may seem. There are shop boys, and there are boys who just happen to work in a shop for the time being.

What you're doing now isn't who you are. You may be working retail, but you're still destined for big things (and when you're about to graduate, this is very comforting).

4. The little I know about love is that it's unconditional. It's not something you can buy.

True love doesn't need to be proven with tangible things. If the person you're with expects you to shower them with trinkets to show your affection, then they're not worth your time.

5. But when I see the way that mankind loves, you could search to the furthest reaches of the universe and never find anything more beautiful. So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing.

Love is never straightforward. You think you're going to get a rock to give to the girl you want to marry, and end up finding your true love, defeat a group of witches, find your long lost mother, and become king of everything.

6. No star can shine with a broken heart

We need love to survive, and if your heart is broken than you're not going to be able to live a full life. We all rely on the bonds with friends, family, and loved ones to survive.

7. My heart, it feels like my chest can barely contain it. Like it's trying to escape because it doesn't belong to me anymore. It belongs to you. And if you wanted it, I'd wish for nothing in exchange - no gifts. No goods. No demonstrations of devotion. Nothing but knowing you loved me too. Just your heart, in exchange for mine.

While the journey to finding your love may get complicated, being in love is simple. If both people really truly love each other, than everything else will work out in the end.

8. He told me that my true love was right in front of my eyes. And he was right.

There are times where we must travel to the ends of the Earth to find out that what we wanted was right in front of our faces the entire time.

9. You have to believe. Otherwise, it will never happen.

Okay this is technically from the book, but still perfect. "Stardust" shows that perfectly ordinary people can live extraordinary lives, only if they believe that it can happen.

10. He wondered how it could have taken him so long to realize he cared for her, and he told her so, and she called him an idiot, and he declared that it was the finest thing that ever a man had been called.

Also from the book, this perfectly illustrates Yvaine and Tristan's relationship. It's the classic "hate to love" story, a cliche you can never get tired of.

11. A philosopher once asked, "Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?" Pointless, really. "Do the stars gaze back?" Now that's a question.

The universe is a vast mystery that we may never be able to solve in our lifetime. However, it's fascinating to ponder what's out there, and if there's someone gazing at us the same way we look at the stars.