11 Unmistakable Signs You're An Only Child

It's not as boring as you think!

4982
Brianna Fitzpatrick

"Wow! I never would have guessed that you're an only child..." This is how most conversations go when someone finds out I grew up without siblings. For some reason, people get this idea in their head that all only children are stuck up, entitled, and selfish. Even though the rest of the world assumes this is true, we all know what it's really like to be an only child. Here are signs that you are in fact an only child:

1. You're Comfortable Being by Yourself

Since you didn't have siblings around growing up, you usually had to find ways to entertain yourself from an early age. You were able to pick up hobbies like reading and drawing when friends weren't around to play with you. Now that you're older, you find it strange to meet someone who is terrified of being alone for more than five minutes, because that is usually the best part of your day.

2. You're Closer with Your Parents

As an only child, it's just you, your parents, and maybe some pets living at home. You were able to become closer with your parents, because they were the only ones around to talk to more often than not. As you grew up, you've learned to appreciate this close relationship, since it has allowed you to have more open conversations with your parents, and form a stronger bond.

3. You're Comfortable Around Adults

Going along with the last point, when you're an only child, you're often surrounded by adults. Having to talk with older relatives and your parents' friends has caused you to mature faster. Rather than get uncomfortable around strangers, you have already learned how to act, and what to say when face to face with someone much older.

4. You're Automatically the Favorite Grandchild

Growing up without any siblings gives you more alone time with your grandparents. When you visit your grandparents, 100 percent of their attention is focused on you, and it's fantastic! If you had a sibling, they would have to choose between you and them, and that can't be fun. This way, there's no one else to compete against for the #1 spot in their hearts.

5. You Feel Connected to Other Only Children

Finding other only children has become increasingly common; however, it's still exciting to meet one! You can talk about how you always get control of the remote, never have to share a bathroom, and never have to compete for attention. Other only children often become some of your best friends because you know what it's like to be in each others' shoes.

6. You Sometimes Wish You Had a Sibling...

Even though being an only child has its perks, you've always wondered what it's like to have another kid around. You see how much your friends love their brothers or sisters, making you feel left out sometimes.

7. ...But Not Always

If you're ever at a friend's house when they're fighting with a sibling, it's incredibly awkward. One minute, you see them punching each other and yelling. The next minute, they're crying tears of happiness, and you just can't keep up! How can a relationship be filled with this much love and hate all at once? You may never know.

8. You Think Arguing is a Weird Concept

Considering that you never had a sibling to fight with over the years, conflict tends to make you uncomfortable. If and when you do get into a fight with a friend, or anyone for that matter, you don't always know how to confront the issue. Removing yourself from the situation to be alone for awhile is usually your best answer until you can call Mom for advice.

9. You Were Freaked Out to Get a College Roommate

When you grow up your whole life without having to share a bedroom, bathroom, and personal space in general, the idea of a roommate will freak you out. What if you get someone who never leaves you alone? What if they snore? What if they listen to screamo music nonstop? These questions run through your mind leading up to move-in day because you're not ready for the freedom you're about to lose.

10. You Can Bring Friends on Vacation

How many people can say they've gone on a trip with their best friend? Not many... This is more likely to happen to you if a) you have the best parents in the world, and b) you're an only child. If someone has siblings, they already have someone to hang out with on vacations. Only children don't get this privilege, which is why we usually get to bring a friend! This is definitely one of the better perks that comes with growing up solo.

11. You Are Not Stuck Up, Entitled, or Selfish

Just because someone didn't experience growing up without a brother or sister, doesn't mean they get to assume what it's like. There is no "mold" for being an only child, so it would be great if you stop thinking that, thanks.