Here's How You Know The World Cup Is Happening

11 Blatantly Obvious Signs The World Cup Is Happening This Summer

It doesn't matter whether you're a fan of football or not. You can't escape the hype of the World Cup.

302

As a tournament that occurs every four years, you start to notice the changes within your own household if you're a house of football fans. Even if you aren't, there is no escape. Whether you're on social media or out on a walk, there is no avoiding the World Cup frenzy.

1. Everyone is wearing their team kits

The World Cup is one of those events in which anyone can celebrate their pride for their country, and it isn't a rare sight to find someone strolling down the street wearing a football jersey. Let's be honest, they're really comfortable anyway.

2. The TV is on whenever there is a game, regardless if anyone is paying attention

Even if you don't care who wins, it'll usually be on to provide background noise or so that you can keep up with the score. It'll affect the brackets later on, and history happens in each game so you'll want to keep an eye on the screen.

3. Everyone is arguing over who the better player is

Whether you believe it's Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, or someone else entirely, there will always be someone to disagree, and they'll have their own reasons too. You should respect that, but don't let it ruin your own support for your favorite!

4. Your Twitter timeline is clogged with game commentary

It doesn't matter whether you care about the World Cup or not, because there will always be someone on Twitter to let you know who won or who scored. You can try muting certain words to keep it off your timeline, but I doubt it'll work.

5. England fans are shouting "It's coming home!"

I mean, we'll find out soon who winds up as the winners, but this is a tell-tale sign that England is progressing through the brackets.

6. Fans become sullen for days when their teams are eliminated

This is me at the moment. Portugal deserved better in this World Cup. Sigh.

7. Flags are hung outside certain homes

It's a valid way to show support, and since America didn't qualify, it's nice to let everyone know who you're rooting for.

8. The World Cup song is added to your playlists

I have yet to decide how I feel about this year's, but "Waka Waka" will always and forever be a bop. There is nothing like listening to the song that reminds you of the chaotic flurry of emotions you experienced in each game.

9. You’re looking up the ages of players to mope about how they’ve accomplished more than you ever have

I mean, seriously? Mbappe is nineteen and thriving in the World Cup while I'm a year younger and sat on the couch alone at home watching him create history. Life really is strange.

10. You now have an easy conversation starter

If you know someone's a fan, asking about how they thought today's game was is a good way to interact especially since it usually leads to deeper analysis and debate.

11. Everyone is much less productive

In my defense, I don't want to miss a game, and mustering the energy to be productive after watching an intense match is far from easy. It'll be over soon though, and I'll return from my shell.

This World Cup has been a wild one—and my favorite so far! Regardless of whether you are a fan or not, some of the points on this list will be very familiar to you. Enjoy this period of time while it lasts! It only comes every four years (and if your favorite team doesn't play in the Euro Cup, this wait can be unbearable). It doesn't matter who you're rooting for or whether your team has been eliminated already; the World Cup allows history to be made right in its playground, and we're lucky to be here to witness it!