11 Things You Remember If You Grew Up As A '90s Kid

It was a different world back then.
78

The Millennials are a unique generation. '90s babies, you are the only generation who grew up without technology and with technology, all within the span of 15 years. Now, you could navigate an iPhone in your sleep. But you also remember a time when iPhones didn’t exist. Here are some nostalgic memories you have if you were born in the mid-'90s.

1. Running around in bare feet.

You stepped on stickers in the yard and sprinted across sizzling hot roads in the summer. You would groan when Mom and Dad yelled at you to wash your feet off with the hose before coming inside.

2. Spending every hour of daylight outside.

You would try and sneak your Game Boy Color outside without your parents seeing, but you couldn’t see the screen in the sun, anyway. Mostly you played kickball and various made-up versions of baseball with the neighborhood kids.

3. The Sprinkler-Trampoline Duo.

One day, you realized that putting the sprinkler underneath the trampoline was a brilliant idea. Until your feet slipped out from under you on a jump and you crashed and burned hard. Didn’t stop you though. You practiced your backflip for hours in the cool water.

4. Roasting marshmallows on actual sticks.

Dad would start the fire, Mom supplied the s’mores stuff and you raced into the woods (or to the nearest tree) to find a worthy stick for the ‘mallows. After Dad sharpened it with his pocket knife, you were set for the rest of the night.

5. Asking your friends to come out and play.

You didn’t even know what a text message was at this point, let alone an iPhone. Every house had a landline, but you rarely used it. You just ran across the street and knocked on the door.

6. Boredom.

Being bored is a good thing, and you knew the feeling well. These were the times when you came up with the most imaginative games. You pretended to be warriors, tigers, pilgrims, cops, you name it. You would gather crabapples and serve them to your siblings as the rations from that day’s hunt. Totally normal.

7. Helping out in the garage.

This was back when cars weren’t completely computerized. If your dad needed to change the oil or replace a part, you were right there to hand him tools and hold the light. If you were lucky, he would let you under the car, too, but only after finding you a pair of safety glasses.

8. Mowing the lawn with a push mower.

If you had a big yard, this was an especially difficult task. You might have been paid for this chore, but most likely you just did it because you were told. These were back in the days when kids respected their parents, after all.

9. SNES and Nintendo 64.

You were only allotted about an hour at night for video games, and it was the fastest hour of the day. You were scared of the bosses in "Legend of Zelda" and "Donkey Kong," but you felt invincible once you beat them.

10. Lemonade stands.

Because nothing teaches kids the value of a dollar like selling Dixie cups of lemonade-flavored Kool-Aid for 25 cents a pop. Splitting the $10 profit with your friend at the end of the day made you feel like a million bucks.

11. Having to eat your dinner, even if you didn't like it.

You remember chewing a single bite of food for over 10 minutes because you didn't want to swallow it. Rarely could you actually get away with spitting out mouthfuls into your napkin. Every Brussels sprout was a traumatic experience. And if you wanted ice cream later, you had to eat every single one. But hey, you survived.