11 Reasons I Want A Big Family

11 Reasons I Want A Big Family

"It takes a kind heart to shape little minds." - My Mama

2480
11 Reasons I Want A Big Family

I've spent an undeniably large amount of time scrolling through Facebook lately... But I've noticed that A LOT of my friends and family are having babies soon! It's like Wedding Season, but with babies! Because of the high number of posts, I've also taken an interest in what people comment on those statuses. People comment, "Wow! Another one?" and "Congrats on doubling the amount of poop in your house!" Not exactly the most welcoming and encouraging comments right?

There are plenty of reasons (you'll find articles everywhere) not to have more than one child, if any at all. Things like more poop, sleeplessness, more schedules to keep track of, an uneven parent-to-child ratio, hectic trips to Disney World - or anywhere for that matter - and giving up a thousand freedoms.

Those things are all true. In fact, just about every family will admit that there’s a never-ending list of things children cost a parent. But all costs aren’t equal.

I'm not a parent myself, but over time, I have caught the drift that most of the reasons to not have children seem to stick in the “now” and are actually very shortsighted. There are expenses and investments of course... but that is to be expected, no matter how many kids you have. The temporary expense of children doesn't even make a dent in comparison to the value of their investment.

The current birth rate in the U.S. is 1.9 children per woman. That number has held steady for a couple years now, but back in 2007, the birth rate was around 2.01 children per woman, just a tad higher. When people ask me how many children I'd like to have someday, it’s like I have to give reasons why it is OK that I have more than my allotted number of children (1-2) someday. So, I decided to share some of the reasons why I want more than 2 and what I look forward to experiencing.

11 Reasons I Will Have More Than 1.9 Children:

1. I want the entertainment. Nothing, and I seriously mean nothing, is more entertaining than a child. It continues to blow my mind on a daily basis how they come up with the things they do.
  2. More kids = more birthday cake. There’s no such thing as too much cake.
  3. Everyone needs an excuse to drink more coffee. 1 cup per kid right?
  4. Why have one kid on the football (or dance) team when you could have four? Or even 4 different sports?
  5. Through my experiences in traveling by plane, I've learned that big families usually get to board first and get that prime overhead storage space.
  6. It is damn near impossible to grow up to be selfish in a big family. Sharing and considering the needs of others is a necessity after all.
  7. My family will get to drive a big car.
  8. They say that grandchildren are the best part of growing old... I am going to be the happiest old lady there ever was.
  9. Christmas morning will be one of my favorites. Seriously, having a big family is worth it for that magic alone.
  10. Having kids is like a friend making factory. It'll be like a sleepover every night with all my little munchkin best friends.
  11. People say there won't be enough love for them all, but what they don't realize is that love is not like a pie that has to shared and divided between all the children... left with someone getting the crumbs. Love is actually a fountain; it's a fountain that ALWAYS multiplies and never divides.