11 Reasons to Love Harley Quinn

11 Reasons to Love Harley Quinn

Joker may be the Clown Prince, But Harley's the Queen.

2344
11 Reasons to Love Harley Quinn
Harley Quinn Valentines Day Special

A few weeks ago I wrote an article about representation in children's media, and shortly after mentally beat myself up because I forgot to bring up my queen, Harley. Over the summer one of the arguments I got into an argument with some coworkers about Harley Quinn, and because I decided I'm going to write one really nerdy article every month, here are 15 reasons why she's Harley Queen!

1. She's an animal rights activist

Don't let the blood on the cover of the New 52's Harley Quinn comic disuade you, Harley Quinn is actually a massive supporter of animal rights. Having gone through the abusive relationship she had, Harley despises seeing animals being tortured. In the new 52 Harley Quinn comics, Harley not only saved a dog from their abusive owner, but also saved and now owns a ton of animals she saved from being euthanized. Disney Princess much?

2. She got the last laugh

When people explain who Harley Quinn is, the first thing that usually comes up is her relationship with the Joker. While the portrayal of the couple in Suicide Squad would have new fans think everything was hunky-dory, that's far from the case. One of the earliest examples comes in the comic representation of the story Mad Love. Towards the end Harley is pushed out of a window by her joke of a boyfriend. I'll talk about about Mad Love in #5, but let it be known, it is so pleasing after years of seeing her be pushed around for her to give the punchlines.

3. Unlike other characters, Harley earned her degree

Yes, her degree is in Psychology, and thus unlike the comic above would suggest probably wouldn't do surgery. Gotham City Sirens #7 revealed more about Harley's backstory, stating her father was a con artist, her brother despite being lazy desiring to live the life of a rock star, and her mother being pretty normal. Turns out the reason she got her degree was so she could better understand her "messed up" family.

4. Her precious relationship with Poison Ivy

That's right, on June 12th, 2015 DC Comics confirmed on their twitter that Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy are in a non-monogamous relationship. Fans had theorized the relationship for years, and after being confirmed canon, made fans even happier. As a massive fan who's bisexual, it made me feel an even stronger bond with her.

5. Shes gotten closer to killing Batman than Joker

Oh Mad Love. The comic that cemented Harley's backstory as the Joker's psychiatrist. This is the comic where the Joker pushes Harley out of the window out of his own pride.

Hoping to make the Joker happy, Harley steals one of his plans involving feeding Batman to some Piranhas. The reason why the Joker never did it however was because it would not look like they were smiling while eating him. Harley's idea? Hang Batman upside down so they look like smiles. You'd think the Joker would be happy with Batman gone, right? Only if the Joker is the one to kill him. In fact, because Batman knew this too well, he tricked Harley into letting the Joker know. Joker dashed to the scene of the future crime quickly, and after the window pushing, Batman and Joker start a fight. During this Batman admited that Harley was the closest to ever ending his life. Has that changed since Mad Love, possibly, but it's still worth the bragging rights.

6. The time she beat up Hitler

You heard it right folks, Harley Quinn had the chance to beat up Hitler. In Harley's Little Black Book #4 Harley goes back in time and works with the Bombshells, another line by DC where the women fight in World War 2. Thinking that she's the Harley of their timeline, the Bombshells quickly inform her of a plan that would save one of the British allies being held hostage by the German's and possibly kill Hitler. However. When they run into the real bombshell Harley (or actually, when Bombshell Harley hits Harley with a car), the Bombshells start to think Harley is a clone made by the Germans. They tie her up and leave her in the back of a German bar, but the effort's for naught because Harley breaks out.

On her way to the rendezvous point, Harley decides to hitch hike, and the person who picks her up is Hitler. In true Harley fashion, she begins to beat him up and shout at one of the worse men in history. When I first bought this comic, I remember being terrified because I had seen the Bombshell Harley with a swaztika on her arm and considering Harley is a confirmed Jewish character, that blew my mind. When I actually read it though and saw Harley was actually working for the British under disguise I was more than proud. The fact I had known Harley is Jewish made this scene even more enjoyable, as it becomes a lot more personal.

It's also in some ways a one up on the Joker. In the 90s DC and Marvel Comics crossed over and had Red Skull (from Captain America) working with The Joker. When The Joker discovered Red Skull was a Nazi and a fight started. Mista J then says "I may be a lunatic, but I'm an AMERICAN lunatic."

7. Or the way she stood up against some sexist pigs

We can thank Batman: The Animated Series for bringing the happy couple together, and in one episode, the then friendship was solidified forever. In the episode there's a specific moment where the two get catcalled. The callers demand a spanking for their behavior, and the gif above is her response.

8. She's a DC Comics Icon

She's not the oldest comic book character in the book, making her first appearance in 1992, but since then Harley has become an important character to the comic book company. 2 years ago DC Comics dubbed February the Month of Harley. I remember being overjoyed because my birthday is February 29th, and Harley is perhaps my favorite character in the history of entertainment (her and Prince Zuko of course). During the month, every DC comic, no matter if she was in it or not, had Harley on the cover, merchandise increased, and the lovable character was given even more love.

Whenever you go to stores catering to pop culture, you can bet that the red and black is shown, and the three diamonds aren't too far away. Merchandise for Harley has boosted in the last few years, and if it wasn't considered odd my dorm room would probably be Harley Quinn themed. From a rendition of the lamp from A Christmas Story (yes, it exists) on my desk, the whole shebang. But, that's too expensive and maybe a little too much, even for me.

9. She approaches everything with a smile

In a world so depressing, a smile is important. True the quote above is more a play on the fact her boss (at that point at least) was the Joker, but as a fan there are only a handful of times I can remember Harley not being happy. She has a cheery disposition to how she lives her life, and it's kind of inspiring. In such a dark and scary time as the one we live in, more people need to take a page out of her book and put a smile on their face.

10. She's a pretty cool mom

That's right guys. The Joker's a father. Did Harley let him raise the child? No. Smart choice Harley. We don't know much about Lucy, but when Harley talks about her we know there's so much love in her heart. To make a sacrifice like that is one that not many are able to, and whenever I hear about Harley and her daughter I can't help but want to talk to my mother. Keep putting tutus on cars Lucy, because that's really awesome.

11. Her Character Development

It's been said before, but Harley was originally going to be a one time character. Fortunately, she wasn't and we've been able to see her grow into the woman that she is today. She's gone through many changes, some for the better, some for the worse, but they've all been done with no intentional harm. She went from just the Joker's sidekick, to his psychologist and girlfriend, to now something completely her own. Who knows what the future holds for her, but the fact she's so loveable, I can only imagine they'll be good.