11 Reasons Why ' The Sandlot' is One of the Greatest Movies Ever

Because what's better than friends, baseball, and a great summer?
642

As we get closer and closer to summer, I start to get more and more excited about warm weather, barbecues, and swimming; but I get especially excited about one of my all-time favorite movies: The Sandlot. Here are eleven reasons why The Sandlot is one of the best movies ever made. Spoiler Alert: If you haven't seen this movie yet and plan to eventually (which you definitely should), this post contains some spoilers.

1. It's about America's Greatest Pastime

What's more American than apple pie? I don't know. Maybe kids playing baseball, America's greatest sport, on the 4th of July? How patriotic is that?

2. It's a great summer movie

The boys don't just play baseball all summer. They take full advantage of the warm weather; they go swimming, they go to a carnival, they have sleepovers in their tree house. Nothing says summer like s'mores in a tree house.

3. And speaking of that tree house...

I've always wanted a tree house, and oh boy do these kids have one heck of tree house.

4. The most iconic movie quote of all time

This quote speaks for itself. I say this at least 3 times a day and even have a shirt with the quote on it.

5. The most epic throwdown in history

I'm willing to look past this slightly sexist quote (it was the 60's after all) because Ham has got the best comebacks when the local baseball team comes to rag on the boys. Iconic insults from this scene also include "Buttsniffer!" and "You eat your Wheaties with your momma's toe jam!"

6. Squints and his true love Wendy Pefferkorn

The scene where Squints pretends to drown in order to snag a kiss with the lifeguard, Wendy Pefferkorn, is hilarious. She may seem upset at first, but we all got our first taste of adolescent butterflies after she later winks at Squints.

7. The Beast aka Hercules

When I first saw the movie, I was terrified of The Beast. That was before I realized how cute The Beast, Hercules, actually is. The only terrifying thing about him is the amount of drool that dog can produce.

8. The Babe Ruth baseball

When Smalls hits the last ball over the fence, he steals his stepfather's prized baseball signed by Babe Ruth (which also happens to get hit over the fence). Of course, Smalls doesn't even know who Babe Ruth is. I don't pretend I know anything about baseball, but who doesn't know about the Great Bambino?

9. Benny becomes "The Jet!"

Let's be honest, Benny was the best player of them all. The fact he was able to make it to the big leagues gives hope for all of us out there to chase our dreams.

10. It's relatable

Maybe you were once the new kid, or were the guy who made friends with the new kid. Maybe you were absolutely terrible at baseball, but your friends stuck with you. Either way, The Sandlot is one of the most relatable, feel-good movies out there.

11. The real message of the movie is friendship

Let's face it, this movie isn't really about baseball and a giant dog. It's about the spirit of friendship. It shows us that all you really need in life is a great set of friends.