11 Reasons Having A Close Family Is The Best

Family is forever.

16
Kamila Marek

Growing up, I was a pretty lucky kid. Not only did I have two parents who spoiled me and a sister who still won't admit she loves me, but there was a large, crazy group of people there as well. I'm not just talking immediate relatives, because we all know that family doesn't end with blood. My parents had plenty of close friends that became like family to me, and I defend them loyally when I get told they're not technically my aunt, uncle, or cousin. You can't forget about the people who married in or are going to marry in. My childhood was great because of these people, with photo albums filled with their faces and pure joy from the countless memories. We did basically everything together. I wouldn't trade my very large, very close family for a million reasons, but to spare you, here's the top 11.

1. I actually look forward to family parties.

When a lot of people have to give up a Saturday or Sunday to go to their uncle's birthday, they complain and sit in suffering until the dreaded day is over. Me? I would prefer a family party over a frat party anytime. What's not to love? Free food, free entertainment, and, if you're old enough (at least in your family's eyes), free alcohol, with a guaranteed way home at that. When I was little, my cousins and I would lock ourselves in a bedroom and play games for hours on end, hiding when our parents came upstairs to take us home. Now, I love sitting round in the backyard or in the family room getting a little drunk while spending time together. Bonus points if there's a milestone being celebrated, like a wedding or graduation. Those I anticipate for months on end and are seriously the best parties of the year.

2. You go on vacations together.

Vacations are lit. Family vacations are unbeatable. Some of the best times of my live were spent on vacation with my family. We would rent a huge house or a few resort rooms and for a week, hang out and eat a lot of food, like a lot of food. For that period of time, you kind of just forget about everything around you and live in the moment. Plus, when you're on vacation with family, you don't have to pay for anything, so it makes it better than being with friends because you have a much higher budget than your last few paychecks (sorry, guys).

3. They are loyal likers on all forms of social media.

Kind of a stupid reason, I know. But hey, it's a guaranteed 20 likes on your profile picture and at least 10 on your status. If you have them on Instagram, then they'll like all of your pictures, whether it's a selfie or a sunset. It makes you look so much more popular than you really are. Also, if you post about an accomplishment, they'll serve as your personal cheerleaders, commenting and sharing your post with possibly more excitement than you're feeling. Social media, to them, serves as a visual representation to show how much the love and support you, or at least it definitely feels that way to me.

4. Countless memories are captured and remembered.

My house is absolutely filled with photo albums. Seriously, you can find them pretty much anywhere. The same group of people have been in these albums from my baby book to my last birthday. It's cool looking back at old photos and looking at how you and your cousins grew up and how much has changed over those years. Even the stupid stuff, like a random picnic in the park, will have at least some photos tucked into an album somewhere. I can literally never forget my life because even if all of my albums burst into flames, I have a million relatives with albums filled with my pictures. People come and go, but family is forever.

5. Christmas and my birthday are lit because I get spoiled.

Oh, holidays. I'm spoiled by my family as is, but when holidays roll around, it's like Santa Claus on steroids. A million relatives mean a million presents, and since they know you better than anyone, there's no such thing as a bad present. At my Communion or graduation, then they pull out the big guns, which I didn't know was even possible. For my birthday, my family rolls in hot with cards full of cash and great presents galore. Obviously, that's not my favorite part of being from a large family, but it's a nice added bonus. Who needs Santa when you have godparents?

6. I have a support system during the bad times.

Life isn't all sunshine and rainbows, as much as I wished it could be. Things happen to people who don't deserve it, and my family is no exception. It's comforting knowing that despite what may happen, I will never be alone. The rough times are bearable though thanks to the massive support system by my side. We would drop everything for each other and do just about anything without hesitation. Sometimes just a hug from my aunt or my cousin is all I really need to get through the rough patch. There's strength in numbers, and we most certainly have the numbers.

7. I have a support system during the good times.

Sometimes, life is all sunshine and rainbows. Great things happen to people who really deserve it, and my biggest cheerleaders are my family. When I got a scholarship to college, they were ecstatic and even helped me choose where I wanted to go to school. When my cousin brought home his girlfriend, we welcomed her in with open arms. Every milestone, big or small, has a network of support behind me, and I offer the same to them. It never feels like bragging when I tell them my accomplishments because they are genuinely happy for me, and that's a feeling I wouldn't trade for the world.

8. I have bonded with people because they know one of my relatives.

When I meet people from my cousins' towns, the first thing I ask pretty much every time is if they know them. An automatic bond forms, especially if they're actually friends with each other. My friends have recognized my cousins and have gone up to them saying they know me. It might be weird, but I love when my family brings me closer to other people.

9. I'm never hungry because there's always food.

I'm pretty certain the reason I'm not skinny is because of my family. Family parties have tables of food with at least 3 different courses, so leaving hungry is not an option. Even just a surprise visit or going to dinner together leaves me full beyond belief. It's like they have a stash of food prepared just in case I decide to pop by. When I stay over at relatives' houses, I feel like I'm living in a Food Network TV show because there's literally always food. Dinner? Do you mean a 12 course meal?

10. I always have an unbiased third party.

If I'm dealing with something, I can always turn to my family for a third opinion. No matter how big or small the issue is, they figure out the right thing to say every time. They also don't judge me for the issue and aren't afraid to call me out if the conflict is a personal matter and they feel as if I'm in the wrong. It's refreshing to have people you can truly trust and will actually give meaningful advice every time.

11. I feel loved constantly.

This one's self explanatory.