11 Non-fiction Books So Good You'll Forget They're Non-Fiction

These true stories will definitely blow your mind.

152
Angela Brook

Non-fiction books, despite the stigma, can be some of the most interesting, worth-while reads of all. These true stories will have you laughing, crying, and everything in-between as you turn page after fascinating page. Doubling as a knowledge booster, non-fiction books can be a great break between fiction reads and this list will be sure to get you started.

1. “Geisha, A Life” by Mineko Miwasaki

This is the memoir of a real and famous geisha named Mineko Miwasaki. Miwasaki is the same geisha Arthur Golden interviewed for his popular book “Memoirs of a Geisha”, but Miwasaki decided to take matters into her own hands after finding his rendition of her story inconsistent with her words. Pick this version up instead for an informative and captivating account of life as a geisha.

2. “Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood” by Alexandra Fuller

The incredible memoir of a family growing up in the insufferable lands of war-torn Africa. Fuller's story is as strange at it is captivating and takes you through an upbringing unlike anything you've heard of.

3. “Astrophysics for People in a Hurry” by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ever wanted to know about crazy-cool space stuff, but had no time to slog through big books full of hard-to-comprehend information? This is your salvation. Tyson will wow you with a dash of wit as he gives you a tour de astrophysics in this small, easy to read book.

4. “The Diary of a Young Girl” by Anne Frank

In this classic account of what it was like to live during the Holocaust, thirteen-year-old Anne Frank sheds light on her experience in hiding through the pages of her personal diary. A sobering tale from a time not too distant from ours, The Diary of a Young Girl is a book too important not to read.

5. “Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure” by Sarah Macdonald

Reminiscent of “Eat, Pray, Love”, this book is about Sarah Macdonald's often humorous (and other times very down to Earth) experience of living in India after being dragged there for her husband's work. Immersed in another culture, Macdonald samples the many religions of India and undergoes intense sickness as she journeys to discover herself and what she is capable of.

6. “Eating Animals” by Jonathan Safran Foer

An intense look at the eating habits we've all formed over the years, in “Eating Animals” Foer examines facts and culture to look at why we eat what we eat and the ways in which we've been blinded by realities. This book will challenge you morally and ethically on your food choices and what reasons you have to truly stand behind them.

7. “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” by Rebecca Skloot

If you don't know who Henrietta Lacks is, you need to read this book. This is the story of Henrietta and her HeLa cells, aka the cells that led to polo vaccines, as well as her victories in cancer treatment and her paving the road for massive scientific breakthroughs despite the fact that the Lack's family made not a penny off it and would remain as poor as they were ignorant of the fact that scientists were using her cells in the fist place.

8. “Night” by Elie Wiesel

Another tale of the Holocaust, this book tells the story of Eli Wiesel--a prisoner of multiple concentration camps. A chilling and sometimes hard to swallow memoir, Wiesel is relentless in his account of what happens and the despair he felt towards God. Certainly not a book to pick up lightly, but an important one.

9. “Genome: The Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters” by Matt Ridley

A fantastic beginner's guide to the human genome, Ridley writes easy-to-digest chapters broken down by each chromosome. Considering how prevalent gene science is today, this is an important book for anyone looking for an introduction into the world of genetics.

10. “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson

Bryson's account of his decision to hike the Appalachian trail is hilarious and informative all at once. You'll find this book hard to put down as you laugh out loud at Bryson's struggles from the comfort of your home.

11. “In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex” by Nahtaniel Philbrick

This is the true story of Moby Dick, the eighty-ton sperm whale that sank the boating shop Essex in 1820. Need I say more? This is a fascinating and gruesome account you do not want to miss.

Doubtless, one of these amazing non-fiction books has caught your eye, so bye for now! Happy reading in the realm of facts!